TPIS mini ram ?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Gregdonna, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Gregdonna

Gregdonna New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    I have a 92 Z28 with the 5.7 and I'm looking to get some more power from it. I have a TPIS mini ram what I like to know is what cam should I use to get the most HP. Also I have a set of alum heads from a Corvette so any info would be great.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    First, you're on the wrong site for this question! lol...

check out www.thirdgen.org

I have Miniram on my TPI swap into my 2nd gen. Great manifold... but NOTORIOUSLY difficult to tune for (particularly at idle and the off-idle transition). Lots of threads and posts regarding this on thirdgen.

Not sure what you mean by "the most HP". What power level are you shooting for? What are the goals for street manners and driveability? What drivetrain? Rear end gear ratio?

What are you planning to do for tuning? And believe me, you WILL need a lot of tuning with that thing.

Having said all that, it's a great manifold once tuned for. Been running mine since 2001 and I love it.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I was at a dyno session one time back in the 90's when the TPIS mini-ram came out, a friend decided tried one out. After all the tuning, it had less tq. and only 10hp over the stock tuned port from back in the day. This was on a 383 with AFR heads but it had a Nitrous cam which may have had poor results NA.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    the Corvette heads certainly won't do you any favors.

I'm running AFR heads and only a 212 cam and no shortage of torque or power...

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    I have experience with multiple engines underneath the same TPIS Miniram. First off, it's a great intake. Short runners, big ports.... flows like Niagara Falls. But sorta likes to work "upstairs". I.e. not in anything like the same RPM range as the factory TPI intake does. But that's not ENTIRELY true..... let me explain:

Think about the RADICAL difference in intake runner length when GM switched from the super-long TPI intake to the super-short LT1 intake on the F-body 350 around 1993. Lots of things changed in that process but the basic port design of the heads didn't change much and the cam didn't change hardly at all (just more lift in the LT1 cam, but otherwise similar specs). The biggest difference was a radically shorter intake runner on the LT1 motors. FYI- The TIPS Miniram is like a bigger version of the factory LT1 intake.

The LT1t made about 30 more HP than the TPI according to specs (245 vs. 275). That was a lie. The F-body LT1 made, in reality, closer to 300 (a difference of about 50HP). And I can tell you from personal experience that the LT1 motor would pull to the rev limiter MUCH harder than a TPI. If you didn't watch the tach you would hit it every damned time. It just kept pulling on the top end where the TPI would fall over well before hitting the limiter. Did it trade away some low RPM torque? You bet. Below 3000-4000 RPMs the TPI would beat it. In a performance application do you care? Nope, because you can gear it/shift it/converter it where you need to in order to use the HP curve to your maximum advantage.

I've found the TPIS intake LOVES cams in about the 230-240* @ .050 range. Enough to get it breathing "upstairs" in the RPM range but not so crazy you starting hitting the limits of what a common plenum intake with a throttle body mounted all the way at the front can feed.

Can it work with smaller cams that that? Hell yes. If you have good heads and/or bigger cubes it will start to outrun a factory TPI intake at lower points in the RPM range (think: 400 small block with good heads on top). The TPI intake works by "resonance tuning" between about 2500-4500 RPMs. But it doesn't flow worth a shit- it was originally designed for a 305ci motor by the factory, after all . If your motor already needs more than it can flow by 4000 RPMs then all that "resonance tuning" bullshit is worthless. You just need MORE FLOW. That's what the TPIS Miniram is all about.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    LOL.... somehow I doubt that any passenger in my car is going to accuse it of lacking low-to-mid-range torque...:crazy:

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Back in the day I heard this story, TPIS had that intake at a show and some people from Chevrolet spotted it. Since I guess TPIS had no patent on it Chevy took the idea, wah lah a brand new shiny intake for the new LT1. Like I said, that story was all over town here in MN back in the 90's.

8. Racer1283

Racer1283 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Batavia, NY, USA
    1980RS, if you go one the TPIS site they say they were instrumental in creating the LT1 intake, but don't say how, so the rumor you heard could be right.
    There used to be a site where you could buy a LT1 intake that was converted for use on a Gen 1 SBC, complete with a hole for an HEI distributor. Heck, I think the site even showed you how to do it yourself if you felt brave.