tpi in a 78 camaro

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Mr.Furious, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Mr.Furious

Mr.Furious New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    Atkinson Il USA
    i have been recently toying whith the notion of fuel injecting my camaro. i will bee installing a 400 small block and i just wanted some comments or tips i could use to make this project come true

2. dale davidson

dale davidson New Member

these are just suggestions, lets say your going with a tbi settup, youl need a wireing harness, computer, o2 stuff, electric stuff(fan, fuel pump, etc.), an after market chip so the tbi would be properly tuned for the 400, i would go with an overdive trans, mostelikily an electric one. i'm sure the guys here will correct me if i'm wrong, i've been looking to do the same thing with my '79 t/a ws6, but i have to pay for school, lol

3. 78 Camaro LT

78 Camaro LT Veteran Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Waco Texas
    Yes, school is a pain. But how else you going to get any where?

The best thing to do is find a doner car, about a 90 model with a 400. Strip everything out of it (all the stuff dale listed) and bolt it on.

Word to the wise, make sure you have an extra car handy for a few days and a few dollars in your pocket.

------------------
    Speed is money...How fast do you want to go?
    78 LT trying to make it a sleeper, BB or 383

4. Evrgrnland

Evrgrnland Veteran Member

May 1, 2000
    Branford,CT,USA
    OH,I wish it was that easy.
    If you really want to get involved with a TPI system I suggest having atleast $4,000.00 in your pocket to start.Donor motors are great to start with but you wont use everything.
    Your better off doing the wiring with a aftermarket harness.There are ALOT of unneeded wires in a stock harness.
    Also,there is quite a bit of fabrication to make it "look" right.
    You need to educate yourself before attempting a project like this.
    It's not hard,just involved.

------------------
    A.K.A Greg
    1980 camaro TPI/5.7 roller motor/balanced,.30 over/forged pistons/flowed heads/ZZ9 cam,Steel crank,ARP rod bolts,Rancho GT3 susp.Saginaw 4-speed,3.08 posi,T-tops,Flowmaster tranverse exhaust.If it ain't broke fix it anyways.
    Going to the great beyond

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    TPI is good for about 425 cfm. The same unit was used for the 305 and 350 engines. On a real mild 400, it would probably work ok but not a real performance addition. May have lots of tuning problems to boot.

6. lbrohez

lbrohez Veteran Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Decatur, Illinois, Usa
    Ok hear goes i would really not suggest putting a Tuned Port on a 400 just for the fact that the tune port was made for a 305 the diffrence for the 350 was computer chip and bigger injectors. with the 350 you are starving yourself for air even if you buy the slp runners the port them out more and port or you plentum you still dont get enough air for the 350. The tune port was made for the 305 and even on that it starts loosing power quickley at 4800 rpm and it starts loosing power before that on the bigger engines. So instead of putting the tune port injection system (long runner setup) on your car i would suggest more of something like a short runner setup ( LT-1 intake, miniram or the super ram).....

We are going to do it to my brothers 85 T/A with a 383 and that is going to take us alot of work to get it going in the right direction.

7. Evrgrnland

Evrgrnland Veteran Member

May 1, 2000
    Branford,CT,USA
    Ibrohez,
    I wish I could take you for a ride.

------------------
    A.K.A Greg
    1980 camaro TPI/5.7 roller motor/balanced,.30 over/forged pistons/flowed heads/ZZ9 cam,Steel crank,ARP rod bolts,Rancho GT3 susp.Saginaw 4-speed,3.08 posi,T-tops,Flowmaster tranverse exhaust.If it ain't broke fix it anyways.
    Going to the great beyond

8. agawam

agawam Member

Nov 4, 2001
    agawam ma. usa
    TPIs are good for massive torque at low/med rpms the stock throttlebody is good for a little over 600cfm and a maf sensor will only flow about 725cfm there are aftermarket throttlebodies like BBK,Edelbrock,and a few others they come in 52mm 58mm the 52 will work with stock runners and flows a little over 750cfm injectors should be at least 22lb and if you get an aftermarket harness get one for speed dencity so the maf sensor is eliminated this means more flow keep in mind the rpms will be done before 6000 but the torque created will allow the use of longer gearing a 700R tranny is a good choice because of the 25% gear reduction in 4th you will also need a new fuel pump the one I use is from a fuel injected V8 ford truck it is frame mounted and pushes 45psi

9. a73camaro

a73camaro Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011