Tools are like Women, Whiskey and Beer

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by zfool, Jun 30, 2015.

1. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    There are allot of them out there but only a few good ones. I won't buy a Chinese tool, I just won't. I really enjoy the looks and feel of the older tools, you can feel the quality in your hands. Even the 80's Craftsman tools don't have what the 60's and 70's have. There's nothing like picking up a 9/16 Plomb wrench, or pulling out an old S-K set of sockets in the green tin. Maybe it's just me, sure gear-wrench and the like are fine; but its China junk so Im immune to its allure.

The new S-K, Snap-On, Armstrong and most of the German tools like Knipex and Wiha are great hand tools; but an old OTC or Proto just feels better. Its probably just me. :crazy:

Lets see some cool tools.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I don't have any old tools that I would consider cool, but I do have my toolbox filled with 40+ year old tools that work really great today just like they did when I bought them so many years ago.

3. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    yes sir same here only old tools.

4. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I have a mix of old, new, USA and china tools. The china harbor freight stuff has it's place in a tool outfit IMHO.

I know I wouldn't want to take my SK or snap on tools to the junkyard to pull parts off. The harbor freight tools sure thing.

I wouldn't want to loan out my SK, craftsman or snap on tools but Harbor freight sure thing.

5. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I like rocking the old us-made tool boxes. Can't afford newer US-made hand tools though ($680 for a 6-piece wrench set? seriously?) I CAN afford to buy old stuff off craigslist from time to time so I'm able to get some decent stuff that way. You just won't ever find me in the back of one of the big name trucks. Just not worth the MASSIVE premium they charge.

I am pretty happy with my 1967 Snap-On mega roll cab though. Tiny by today's standards but it was a giant in it's day!

6. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    I have some newer ones, none of the mega $ stuff, I would rather get it where I can find it at a swap or CL and even eBay. A few years ago there was allot of smoking deals. I hear China Freight Impact sockets are actually decent and don't typically explode in your face.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    No Chinese tools for everyday use, not sure about Chinese women though.

8. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    :D I didnt think of that but lol

3/8 Proto Ratchet, very solid
    [​IMG]

Plomb double box set
    [​IMG]

Blue Point Tap and Die
    [​IMG]

1/4 inch Power Kraft set with breaker Bar and T-handle
    [​IMG]

3/8 S-K Set
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure you could round this bunch up for 60-90$ or so and have a nicer set of tools than you would pay for a Craftsman China wrench and ratchet set. I know some guys especially some younger guys that aren't familiar with some of the old brands that were quality tools, most top quality by today's standards. Another thing I like is a solid vintage Vise.

9. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2010
    SanAntonio Tx
    One time I went to my brothers apartment, he had the dish washer door open, he had a bunch of sockets an wrenches in it that had been washed????? He's anal about a lot of things but then he's a CPA, I guess that's why.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I like that idea, wife probably wouldn't. I wonder if a dishwasher would clean engine parts?