To use a clutch fan or not?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by lapedr, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Buffalo,NY,USA
    You can find some good ones in the scrapyard. The Ford and Dodge fans work great and not to hard to swap in. Most fans I have used pull about 8-10 amps which is not much. In my Camaro I use a small one from an 80's GM with the 3rd gen aluminum Radiator and it stays between 185-195 on a 90 degree day. I also use a cheap parts store thermo fan controller w/relay. The only thing to make it better would be a way to shut it off after 15 mph where it starts to impede airflow.

2. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    My clutch went back in the 80's. I bought a flex fan, had overheating issues, bought a new one at the dealer, glad I did, w/a160 thermo is great now. nOS would be insane now.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    In 1973 the Z28 has a fixed 7 blade fan which was one for one drive fan ( without ac ) . At idle the fixed fan only turned as fast as the motor rpm . The fluid coupling fan would actually spin faster than the rpm of the motor at idle . I think the fluid drive fan on the z28 was gone in 72 ?? So who knows what’s better , but ac cars like the fact that the fluid fan moves more air owner the condenser coil at idle ( instead of the head pressure going through the roof ) . Eventually the fluid can leak out , then it’s just a regular fan and eventually becomes a hood destroyer ...

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    This has been very helpful. My 73Z has AC. It was a basket case and all I have is the original 7-blade fan and spacer. Maybe I need to think about a change as well.

5. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    Mechanical Fans--that's a NO BRAINER, you'd run the clutch fan. You'd want a fan that can spin at different speeds dependent upon temp vs. a fan that's one set speed. As far as hp, it'd be minimal between the two and not worth the bother of influencing a decision.

6. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Yes great video, I went ahead and bought a 7 blade repo of the 18" 70Z28 fan and fan clutch

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Clutch fans are great until you have one lock up at highway speed and disintegrate. But I still would go with the thermostatic type any day.

8. 200mph

200mph New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    NC
    You want a thermostat controlled electric fan.

1) Get a "puller" fan that mounts behind the radiator. Its a bit more effective than a "pusher".
    2) Look for a fan with curved blades... they run quieter.
    3) For best longevity, stick with name brands like Spal and Hayden.

9. Bopfly

Bopfly Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Griffin, Ga
    Gen 4 dual fan set up with a Gen 3, 94 amp alternator and the controller of your choice. I went with the Delta Current Control FK75. Install was about 30 minutes beginning to end. Easy money and my 406 never goes over 180, even on a hot summer day in South Georgia.

10. AJ81Z28

AJ81Z28 New Member

Mar 21, 2017
    I gained HP by dumping the old non flex fan. First I tried a clutch fan with the thermostat which actually worked great. But I went to an electric and the car runs faster and is much less noisy. Both the old fan and the clutch fan are loud.