To rewire or not to rewire?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Mr Sunshine, Sep 24, 2017.

1. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 New Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2017
    New Brunswick
    I am not worried about my Z being original as the original engine is in the basement with 12000 miles on it and 1 summer, I want the car to look good, be dependable and perform.

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    20/20 hindsight. I had mine completely torn apart, thought about putting a Painless system but failed to pull the trigger. Now that I'm chasing issues under the dash...I wish i had spent the money and bought the harness. PS replace the dash circuit board at the same time.

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Hello phat80,
    How long have you owned your Camaro and was your wiring in original condition or had it been cut into etc.?

4. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I've had my car 5 years. Original wiring, some hacking done for a radio swap at some time. The litmus test for replacement, I believe in hindsight, is when you look at the wire junction box on the engine side of the fuse block...if the tar "sealant" is dried out, crusted and shitty looking there's probably going to be conductivity issues.

Of course you could take the box off the firewall and clean everything...but

5. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    There are a couple of harness options and costs. The under dash harness is most expensive in you go with a stock replacement, but is usually in the best shape since its in the car.
    The 2 underhood harnesses are typically toast. The front to rear harness is cheap so no sense not replacing it.
    Then there are the all in one harnesses, that need to be terminated. Less money, but more work.

6. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I've put my resto back together and I'm actually going to pull the interior all apart and do my wiring anyways. I have this reoccurring nightmare of my car lighting on fire from the electrical. I actually drive with two extinguishers because of this. Thing is things always work great with no issues until the day they don't. I'd say if you're going to rip it down then do it for sure. Some of the used parts on my car came from a burnt up 79 Z that lit up because of wiring issues behind the radio. To me we put so much time, money and heart into our cars, why risk losing it all over a stupid little short from a worn old wire.

Zstar likes this.