To rewire or not to rewire?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Mr Sunshine, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Wanting some experienced opinions on this. I have a 78 Z28 I've had since new. Never really had many issues with wiring and as far as I can remember everything still works (been restoring for the last year). But I have 40 year old wiring.
    20170916_094520.jpg I'm taking this thing down to the bones so is it the smart thing to do to strip all old wiring and rewire with a new Painless harness or something similar?

2. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 New Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2017
    New Brunswick
    Hi Mr Sunshine
    I also have a 78 Z28 since new, put away in October out in April after snow and salt are gone. My Z is in about the same state as yours, I am going to replace my wiring harness with a new one from painless wiring. I do not want any blue smoke because of old wire insulation or bad connections
    David

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My '70 still has all the original wiring unmodified. I won't change it because none of the aftermarket replacements ever seem to live up the original standards. Read some posts from people here who put in new harnesses. Painless isn't painless.

4. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    No new wiring is painless. 40 yr old wiring is just that, 40 yrs old. I am in the process of replacing mine in my 73. Once you remove it you will be glad you did.

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I replaced mine when I restored the car. Went with an AAW kit that I could customize a bit. Some of the wiring I pulled out was really bad, age wise. If I were taking a 45 year old car down to the body, I'd replace the wiring. I also used the modern fuse block. No one can see it and the fuses are more modern.

Oh and I replaced the alternator with a new higher amp one with a built in regulator. Not much difference with the later cars but a big difference to the 70.

Zstar and Mr Sunshine like this.
  6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I suppose if it's easy to get to at where you'll have the car at, you might as well do it. If you do it down the road, it'll be harder and you'll be pretty upset with yourself.

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks David and good luck with your restoration.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanks Gary, it's good to hear different opinions. And your 70 looks really nice in yellow with the Z28 wheels.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I also still have the orig wiring in my 70 Z28 with no issues. If I still owned my 77, 78 or 80 Z28's I ordered new,
    I would not be replacing the wiring unless it was eaten by mice or shorted/burnt.

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    So if you happen to do a frame-off, you wouldn't replace the 47 year old wiring?