To much fuel down the carb gas in my oil pan plus leaking now

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Glenn78z28, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Glenn78z28

Glenn78z28 Veteran Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Ok pulled the pump its good went to the lines one was repaired awhile back nice slice in it now i know there not high pressure lines in a 78Z28 i pulled the rubber hose and clamp off and i have no fuel in the line(main not the return) so im pretty sure its a gas issue no fuel coming from the tank to the line im going to cut it all the way today and put a hose on it and blow or suck see if i can get some fuel and yes change the oil before BOOM!!!!!! im hoping this is the only problem i run into besides the bodywork i have .

2. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Im just wondering is there another fuel filter besides the one on the engine going into the carb is there one that should be in the tank this might be my problem when i first got the car i drained the old fuel out put a new pump on then i noticed the gas leak in the line under the passanger side just before the line goes up to the tank but it was to late all gas came out i temp repaired it ever since then no gas.

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the pickup tube in the tank should have a "sock" type filter on it to avoid picking up larger chunks of debris in the tank. it keeps your pump from ingesting larger chunks of scale and rust in the tank that might harm the pump.
    from your description it is possible that the sock is clogged.
    blowing thru the line while someone listens at the filler neck is a way to verify it is clear enough to flow fuel forward... but if you use compressed air it is possible to blow the sock off the end of the pickup tube in the tank.

don't you just love old cars that have sat for awhile?

4. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Cool good info thank you and i love old cars that have been sittin for a long while just love the i got figure it out part lol.

5. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Ok did the line so the line is ok i blew in it heard something in the tank but no fuel came out do i need to turn over the car to get fuel pumping or can i just press the pedal how does these fuel systems work on these 78 Z28s

6. K5JMP

if the repair on the rubber "tank to hardline" bridge stopped all the air leaking into the system it should be good to go.

I usually use a contact lense saline soloution bottle to fill the carb bowls thru the vent tubes... take the sight plugs out and fill them until the fuel just starts come out of the sight plugs, then put the plugs back in.. that should be enough fuel to get it going without pouring gas down the bores.
    once she fires it will pull the fuel down the line on it's own

only problem is we still don't know where the fuel in the oil was coming from...

7. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Im pretty sure its from me dumping alot of gas down the carb its gotta go somewhere right why not in my oil lmao and your saying to fill the bowls threw the vent tubes is that where my DP lines are one in the front one in the back take lines off and fill them till some comes out and then put the lines back on right????

8. K5JMP

vent tubes are on the top

9. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Ahhhhhh ok got ya the 2 tubes on the top of the carb

10. K5JMP

yup, pull the plugs out of the side of the bowls and add fuel to the vent tubes until it starts to run out the plugs. then put the plugs back in and go for it:innocent: