To much fuel down the carb gas in my oil pan plus leaking now

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Glenn78z28, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Glenn78z28

Glenn78z28 Veteran Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    I put to much gas down the carb now i have it in my oil and now i have a leak under the car coming from the oil pan (top around the seal) i know that to much gas down the carb did this not a big deal but did the gas in the oil eat away at my gasket and it only leaks when i try to start it (still wont fire up only for a minit or so pretty sure its my fuel line no gas going to the pump) should i change the oil asap or did i do more damage ive been trying to fire this car up for 2 months changed plugs, distributer,wires,fuel pump,she fires and runs for a minit then dies plus backfires not to much think its from fuel down the carb because i cant get gas to the carb has to be a fuel line i did have a leak and repaired that with fuel hose and clamp but i might have crushed the line with the clamp any help on this would be nice thanks:mad: :(

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    You are going to ruin your engine very quickly if you are trying to run it with gas diluted oil, that needs to be changed asap. If you have been cranking on this car for long periods of time without it really firing that is not good for it. I doubt the fuel ate your oil pan gasket, if you have a leak, you probably had a leak to begin with, oil pan gaskets can be tricky to get to seal sometimes even the 1 piece ones.

3. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    So i should get that oil out now then before i do more damage

4. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    The oil looks like its overfilled because of the gas could that make it leak ???

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah. It probably should have been changed several times by now from the sound of it, if you ever have extended cranking with a no start situation and you wash the cylinder walls down you are setting yourself up for an oil change asap. An oil pan gasket shouldn't leak from a high level, it sounds like you just have a good old fashioned leak. Could be rear main, could be the pan to gasket interface itself. Are you using a 1 piece of 4 piece pan gasket?

6. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    think its one i have not been under just enough to see where its leaking from, almost looks like above the oil dranage bolt up there somewhere someone stold my jack so i have a nice tiny 2 ton that has a hard time with this car there pretty low

7. daustin

daustin Veteran Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Woodstock, GA
    Change the oil & filter asap. Also the gas will dilute the oil and seep out the smallest of places, thus leaking where it ordinarily would not. If you are trying to start the car, starting fluid will evaporate and not dilute the oil. If it "fires" for a few seconds then dies, and you still have no fuel to the carb. Unhook the gas tank line, stuff a rubber line into a gallon of gas and try it. If you have gas then there's a problem with the tank or lines. If you don't look at the fuel pump or carb.
    Don

8. Glenn78z28

Mar 12, 2011
    Welland Ont
    Will do im going to change the oil first most important and then move on to my fuel problem and thats what i figured the thinner the oil it will find places to leak cause it didnt leak till the gas got in there and that was me no one to blame there i knew beter but wanted her to fire up thanks for the info

9. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    You may have a torn diaphragm in your fuel pump if you are running a mechanical pump. Also, this would introduce gas straight into your crankcase if so.

Maybe pull the fuel pump and check it out?

10. hoov81

hoov81 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    kenosha, WI
    Get er done Glen