TKO600 Install

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by redriderjf87, Dec 14, 2017.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you for all the insight on this, hopefully the budget will allow me to do this upgrade in the spring.

2. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Making some slow project, finally got the driveshaft in and wires run. In theory, just have to put fluid in it and trim up the sheet metal around the outer shifter boot. Hopefully will have a test drive video once the 8" of snow we just got melts...

3. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Check your pinion angle yet?

4. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Yeah, checked it a couple times (manual angle finder and the Tremec app), I may have gotten lucky. U-joint operating angles are right at 1.7-2.0 degrees with the car loaded. The front and rear joints are pretty close within that 0.3 range.

Hopefully I am not overlooking anything big but I have read the Hurst instructions and online docs until I'm blue in the keyboard, we will see.

The other thing I couldn't find a clear number on is the torque spec for the 4 rear u-joint retainer bolts. I found some internet posts indicating 15-20 lb-ft from other people with GM 10 bolts, I ended up going 20 lb-ft with some Loctite red. I'll definitely be re-checking all the bolts after the first test drive, but does that sound like a reasonable number?

Thanks again, Justin

5. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Well, got everything that I can think of lined up, double checked and re-torqued, etc. Even did some cleaning underneath while she's up in the air.

Overall I am very happy so far, shifter is lined up real close, other than I had to move the bezel to the left by a half inch or so. Have a piece of carpet I need to repatch from moving it over but otherwise everything is basically ready to go.

Now the hard part, waiting until I can get this thing out of the garage. 6 in of snow and no sign of melting in sight for the next 7-10 days, I'm sure others in the Midwest can appreciate. Last night hit 20 below zero, windchills of 40 below. Can't remember the last time it was this cold and for several days in a row.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm with you! -3 here and I just got my Sniper fuel injection installed and too cold and salty to test it!

Great job, you will love it. It does need a little time to break in. The shifting seems to get smoother over the first 1,00 or so miles. I don't think you need to do it, but I changed my transmission fluid around 1,500 - 2,000 miles.

Patience and stay warm!

7. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Well, just gave it a shakedown run and my overall impressions are holy crap, why didn't I do this sooner :)

I am trying to obey the break-in period and not beat on it, but the thing goes in every gear so much easier and quicker than the ST-10 it's crazy. Bonus points for not hitting my knuckles on the dash. Same for crusing at 60 and realizing I'm at a reasonable 1900 rpm.

I'm going to keep my manners for a while during break-in, but one thing I am wondering about is that 5th does whine a little bit at lower rpm's (by that I mean 1500, which is the lowest I take it). It quiets down as you get closer to 2000, and I don't actually mind it. But I will have to check around if that is acceptable or if anyone's had issues with the 0.64 5th.

Also just an FYI, I will probably be posting my ST-10 in the classifieds section for anyone that wants a good deal. Appreciate everyone's help answering my questions.

8. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I have 3.73 gears and it is quite in 5th on my TKO500. What gears do you have?

BTW, isn't it the coolest transmission ever :)

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I assume you used the Pennzoil fluid they recommend. I think mine had a little noise until it broke in. Give it a little time before you worry. It will get smoother as it breaks in as well.

Enjoy!