TKO600 Install

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by redriderjf87, Dec 14, 2017.

1. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    I don't have much to say yet other than it's finally here, and I had to post something out of the sheer anticipation of ripping out the ST-10 this weekend :)

Should be relatively simple since I'm not touching my existing clutch/bellhousing, but I'm pretty good at overthinking things, so we'll see.

Already digging the short throws

[​IMG]

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I love mine. I did dial in my bell housing and needed some RobbMC indexing pins to get it right. That took the longest time of the install. The second longest part was waiting for driveshaft to come and then getting the pinion angle and the angle at the trans right. FYI, I highly recommend using a bronze bushing for reliability.

Mine was a tight fit at the trans tunnel and I had to do a little pounding to get clearance. You shouldn't have to cut too much to get the shifter through. I also upgraded to the lightning shifter. If I did it again I would put heat shield above the transmission on the underside of the Trans tunnel to keep the interior cooler before I put the trans in. Just easier to do before.

You will love it!

3. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Thanks. I got mine with the blackjack shifter, I'm not using my console at this point but understanding it should line up pretty close if I decide to put it back in later.

Also I'm optimistic that the shorter throws will allow me not to hit my knuckle on the dash everytime I jam it in 3rd :)

4. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I changed my stick out to a shorter stick. It is in my build thread. I highly recommend the change. Your knuckles will hit the dash with the stock shifter!

5. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I don't have the stock shift handle but it's a longer hurst handle and it might be a good excuse to go with a shorter one.

6. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
  7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I did the swap about two years ago. I went from ST10 to TKO500; from old Bell to new QuickTime Bell and I love it. I even raced it this year and it was smooth compared to the old ST10.

There is definitely a difference from Rail shifting vs linkage shifting and add the 5th gear and you are having a great time.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Are you going to measure it for runout and parallel?

9. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Quad Cities, IL
    I am going to try it for my own peace of mind and education. I haven't noticed any noises/vibration in the two years I've had it with the current setup, so I feel pretty decent about it.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

As i understand it its the front bearing design that makes it more critical in the tkos.