Tire size for 1/8th mile

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Justin79maro, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Justin79maro

Justin79maro Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Bonne terre, missouri
    Should I still play with tire pressure? Or should I just swap to a different height tire?

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very true, he said slicks and I went into my ramblings, which are way different than a drag radial combination.
    Those things are a lot different to dial in max 60'.

3. Justin79maro

Justin79maro Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Bonne terre, missouri
    Is there a trick to doing so? Cause I could use some helpful tips!

4. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Everything he said is true and very well explained with regards to a bias ply tire. I almost missed the radial part at first glance myself. Once a radial starts to spin, it is done. A bias ply works very well with a few extra rotations on launch. Completely different animals. If you go to a 275-50-15 drag radial, the car should launch better if it stays planted. Given that you're changing the effective gear ratio, it may not hook depending on the rest of your combo. Running faster and quicker are 2 different things, so you can hurt one while helping the other. What suspension work, engine and trans work are done? Getting a good combination together first, then fine tuning to drop ET and gain MPH is a very oversimplified way to explain it.

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can not help with a drag radial, I know slicks, big & small, but only slicks, I've never ran or helped anyone running a radial.
    I don't even know what pressure they run at, or how much wheel speed they like.

I do know when my MPH went up unexpectedly, the 60 usually went up also.
    Think of it like a running start. You sit there for an extra split second building RPM and then you're off.
    Not sure if it's the same for a radial, but I would keep good logs every time you make a change.
    Even with a slow car, there's gain from dialing in everything the best you can, instead of just pissing away fuel & rubber???
    Which I did for years and had a blast making pass after pass and didn't give a damn about gaining ET or speed.

Good luck, race safe.

6. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

A long time ago I switched from 3.31 gear running 8.30's 1/8 mile crossing in 2nd at 6,000 to a 4.10 gear crossing in 3rd and my new ET was 8.40's we didn't have a 1/4 mile track at the time but I bet my 1/4 was better with the 4.10? I would try and get it through the 1/8 in 2nd gear wound out if you want to keep the 3.42

7. Justin79maro

Justin79maro Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Bonne terre, missouri
    Suspension wise I redid the rear suspension it has oem springs and has airshocks (let most of the air out at the track) I have sub frame connectors and traction bars. My engine is a 383 vortec crate engine, made 444hp @5750rpm with a 750 carb (got a 780 now) and 454tq @4500rpm. The trans is a th350 with a hardened sprag and a shift kit, b&m 3,000 converter. If you want more engine details I can send more info

8. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    have you ever weighed the car or put it on corner scales?

9. Justin79maro

Justin79maro Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Bonne terre, missouri
    No I've never weighed it

10. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    You seem to be set up pretty well. With 3.40 gears and 3000 stall it should be able to muster more than a 1.8 60 ft time. You need to get some video to analyze what is going on. 7.97 in the 1/8th is a pretty healthy car. I believe you will get lower when you get the launch sorted out. I'm bummed that I couldn't get mine to the track this year so I have no Camaro tricks to pass on.