Tire rack

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by cubangt, Oct 15, 2013.

1. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    With hopes of getting my 76 out of the garage and to the shop to have the frame pulled, im looking to take that time to clean up and organize the garage alittle or a lot better than it is now..

Has anyone here built their own tire racks like this one I found online:
    [​IMG]

The given is making sure to secure the rack to the wall studs, but besides that is there any advice or suggestions on the actual construction of the rack itself that would help insure its safe and can hold the weight of the tires.. I have I believe at least 6 to put up, possibly more, but if I build them myself, im only going to make them each big enough to hold 4 in a rack..

thanks

2. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Seems a good work, similar to mine.. but mine is installed on a brick wall..
    [​IMG]

3. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    Whether its brick, or whether you mount to a stud, shouldnt make a difference. Im going to be using my roof studs to hold up my camaro. Reinforced of coarse though lol.

It certainly does give it a neater shop look.

4. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Cool, so if im building out of wood, any suggestions on supporting the buttom corners where the pieces join and the angle piece?

Im assuming the safer and better thing would be to use the strap ties on the joints to insure that they don't come apart..

5. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Yea while preparing to dig out my 76 under all its stuff to take to the shop, I counted at least 13 rims and tires I need to make room for, currently stacked in the corner on the floor, but I can hang them up and place other stuff in that corner so we will see

6. 75Camaro4x4

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    When putting it together, just remember screws hold a heavier load up/down and nails do MUCH better for any side to side weght. Drill before you screw, draw it out, ect.

A piece of wood on both sides, angled, is a dead obvious. If I was the one building it, Id add another brace every 2-3 tires. (Depends on how the studs measure out with t)

7. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    thanks.. the nice thing is I have enough wood in the garage to atleast build one...and then buy to build a 2nd one..

8. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa
    I would use some the metal gusset plates at all the joints and use screws.They are really cheap at HD. You could also use some pieces of scrap plywood with construction adhesive.

9. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    I found another site with measurements and looked a little more secure considering I used a little longer lag bolts to secure to the wall.

Tire Rack

Here is somewhat clean after the 76 was taking to the shop
    [​IMG]

Fresh coat of paint in the areas I was going to work on sunday(today)
    [​IMG]

And one of the racks installed late in the afternoon
    [​IMG]

Already cut and built the next rack, just need to pick up the lag bolts and chain tomorrow and install..

10. 75Camaro4x4

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC