Tire loses air to a certain point and stops

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by dannyUAL767, Nov 19, 2002.

1. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    If I air it up to 35 psi, it will slowly leak down to about 20-22 psi within a week and stop [​IMG]. I'd expect it to leak completely. What could be causing it? I'd like to fix it. My wife's Saturn had the same problem with one of her tires but we replaced all four of them 1 1/2 yrs ago and, of course, the problem went away. Please help!

------------------
    80 Z28, 406, Sportsman heads, Speed Pro forged pistons, 350 rods, Comp Cams 292 hyd, Weiand Team G, Holley 750 double pump, MSD Digital 6, Richmond Gear Overdrive 6-speed, Auburn Gear limited slip, Torque Tech 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 3".
    PST polygraphite bushings, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Moog coils

2002 WS-6 Trans Am, skip shift

1991 5.0 Mustang, FMS clutch and aluminum radiator, Hedman X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded mufflers, Flowmaster tailpipes

2. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    Do you have alumonum rims? How about michelin tires both will flex enough to let air escape could also be the valve cores are leaking or a few other things one trick I did as a mechanic that is definatly not the safest method is inflate the tire to 65psi then dunk it in water see if it bubbles anywhere.

------------------
    Yahoo messenger ID archemedes74 feel free to add me
    Give blood play hockey!

3. Greg K.

Greg K. Veteran Member

Jun 10, 1999
    Wenonah, NJ
    I've had very small holes in tires that will only pass air at high pressure. As the tire pressure decreases, the hole can close up and the leak stops. Air up the tire to where it leaks and spray soapy water on it. You will find the leak.

------------------
    74LT 350/4spd Midnight blue metallic w/black interior

4. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Had the same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a faulty valve stem. Might want to air the tire back up to 35 psi and use soapy water to find the leak. If theres a leak, it will make a good size air bubble and you will notice its location pretty quick. Dish washing liquid works great for this! Hope this helps! [​IMG]

Jim
    '80 Berlinetta

5. dude1

dude1 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2001
    Hopkins,MI
    My old rims were bent and wouldn't allow the tire to keep air. Yes, mine would totally deflate. If it's very slight bend, the tire may deflate and squish down sealing that spot up.

------------------
    80' Berlinetta

"Careful what you wish you may regret it, careful what you wish you just might get it"
    METALLICA

6. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Thanks for the tips! They all sound like I could check them with some soapy water after I air them up.

------------------
    80 Z28, 406, Sportsman heads, Speed Pro forged pistons, 350 rods, Comp Cams 292 hyd, Weiand Team G, Holley 750 double pump, MSD Digital 6, Richmond Gear Overdrive 6-speed, Auburn Gear limited slip, Torque Tech 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 3".
    PST polygraphite bushings, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Moog coils

2002 WS-6 Trans Am, skip shift

1991 5.0 Mustang, FMS clutch and aluminum radiator, Hedman X-pipe, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded mufflers, Flowmaster tailpipes

7. HCKY23

HCKY23 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Levittown, New York
    I've had similar problems. if the tires were mounted and dismounted a few times they may not seal perfectly, especially with aluminum rims and low profile tires. Have them re-mounted and ask them to use a sealer around the bead. I did this and the problem went away.