Tire Crib's...For that lift you need...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    Wow good idea! Now if only oak or another hard wood was cheap enough to do this
    How many uses do you think the pine/whitewood has?
    How tall do you think you could safely make them?
    I've done the lifting of the front, blocking, lifting the rear, blocking, lifting the front again, adjusting the blocks, lifting the rear, adjusting the blocks. Sometimes it takes longer to do than the work you're planning on doing! :confused:

2. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    I think they are safe, or I wouldn't have done it. I also placed stands at each corner as backup, but I also don't think I'd go any higher than the standard 12 inches high that you see in these posts. It was high enough to drop the transmission and slide it out, and high enough to comfortably work on the exhaust.

3. WheelerCamaro

WheelerCamaro New Member

May 7, 2011
    Ogden, Utah

Looks good! Nice work. I like your Z.

I made a jig out of some crap particle board and screwed it down to my work bench... It helped to build the cribs faster.

4. BB72R-Yes

BB72R-Yes Veteran Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Waynesburg Kentucky
    Maybe a two piece interlocking design would be the way to go. I need to make a set of these soon so when I do I may try to make a set this way.

5. FunBobby

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    I keep thinking about those things that car dealers drive cars onto for display. Some are 3 or 4 feet tall. They have removable ramps, and I would think they would have to be safe....but never seen anyone using them like a "lift".

6. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    Like this maybe?

http://www.kwik-lift.com/

7. FunBobby

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
  8. Krator

Krator Veteran Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Canada
    I hate using jack stands for anything. I will be making a set of those this summer for sure. I may even weld some up and put heavy casters on them with locks. I have some my uncle gave me from the freight liner plant he used to work in. Good enough to hold a tractor trailer cab good enough for my Camaro.

9. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Plymouth Mass
    May sound like a dumb question.But whats the procedure to get those under?I know a jack.But rear first or front?

10. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    I have a good jack that lifts real high. I basically just block the back tires and put the ebrake on, put the jack under front crossmember, jack the front up and put the cribs under, then put the jack under the rear/end pumpkin and jack the rear up and put the cribs under. You have to have a good high lift jack to do it in two steps though.