Tire Crib's...For that lift you need...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Jan 11, 2011.

1. mike89co

mike89co Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Arvada, Colorado
    Then there is the welded steel version if you would rather weld.
    Both seem to work well. I lift mine side to side, with a floor jack, and set on jack stands, then go back and lift side 1 with a floor jack with a 4x4 on top of the jack to get the height (always look for tipping stands), then side 2.
    MIke
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/mike89co/media/dec020.jpg.html

2. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Just so I'm clear....are you saying step 1 is to get your car on Jacks (all 4 sides), then you lift each side higher to get them on the cribs? Or is there a point in your process where you have one side on cribs, and the other side on the ground? I'll be doing this soon, and I never thought about lifting it side-to-side .... I only considered doing it front to back....and my thought was to get it on 4 jacks as step 1, then lift higher to get the car on cribs....seems a lot safer.

3. z28cp

z28cp Veteran Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Bellevue, NE
    Where did you get those nice metal stands? I would be very interested in a set of those.

4. mike89co

mike89co Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Arvada, Colorado
    FunBobby,
    Yeah, I lift it up a little at a time on each side, until I have all 4 corners on jack stands. I usually lift with just the floor jack until my stands are maxed out. (Now all 4 corners are pretty high) My floor jack won't go high enough to get onto the "cribs" until I put a 4x4 block of wood on top of the floor jack
    to get one side onto the "cribs". Then I let the tires rest on the "cribs" and go around to the other side and lift it up with the floor jack and 4x4 block until I can set the tires on that set of "cribs". I do have solid body bushings and frame connectors so it does not flex too much. But, I did put it on the same way before I had the solid bushings and frame connectors.
    Mike

5. mike89co

mike89co Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Arvada, Colorado
    z28zp,
    I built those a long time ago when I was still doing some circle track, and used them as squaring stands. Still use them for that too sometimes. (To square the front subframe etc.) Sorry, I don't do that kind of fab work any more. If you want some specs, let me know and I can measure them and pass it along.
    Mike

6. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    I have a 3.5 ton jack and put it under the front crossmember in the middle jack the front up and put the cribs under the front tires, then go to the back and put the jack on the rear diff in the middle and jack the rear up and put the cribs under the back tires.

7. I think I used econo studs at a buck a piece and nails and screws I had so real cheap...They work great but I have a 4 post lift now so I use em for other things...

8. WheelerCamaro

WheelerCamaro New Member

May 7, 2011
    Ogden, Utah
    I finally got mine done and now I'm working on the solid body mounts. Here's what mine ended up looking like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    Life is good with a set of cribs.......

10. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    Add me to the list of satisfied customers :)

[​IMG]