Tire Crib's...For that lift you need...

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by RockerMomsHotwheels, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I love this idea...I got it from 72CamaroSS so I took pics as I built a set for myself...My plan is to buy a lift when we buy a house but till then,this car is LOW...These get the car up to a good height and IMO are safer than Jack Stands at this height...Plus Jack Stands can sometimes get in the way...Also, our car will be in the air for a while and what if I need to do a brake job on the daily driver and need my Jack Stands...So here it is...
    You need to start with a stack of 2x4's...10 to be exact...I got the econo studs 96" I think...Just under 2 Bucks a piece...
    [​IMG]
    Cut into 12" and 16" pieces-32 at 12 inch and 32 at 16 inch...
    [​IMG]
    The boards I cut into 12 inch pieces,I cut 16" off of one end and on the boards I cut into 16 inch pieces, I cut off 12" off of one end on each board I cut to minimize waste...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. This is a Great tool for stuff like this...
    [​IMG]
    Cut till you have 4 stacks ready...I ended up with a 16" on the last cut on the last set so I trimmed it down to 12"...Did I save any? I don't know...lol....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its now time to put em all together...I used 3" Screws and Nails cause thats what I had...I needed just over a Pound of Screws,well like 25 more Screws...
    [​IMG]
    I used these...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. I also marked Nail and Screw holes so I didn't try and nail through a Screw head...
    [​IMG]
    Four should look like this...
    [​IMG]
    And they end up like this...Tons of room under there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps, I know it will for me...Thanks 72CamaroSS

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's nice to see Audra's car being "worked" on!

Those are what Kyle and Stacy Tucker use at DSE too!

5. I know I have to at least get it drivable for her...:eek:

6. Buckneccid

Buckneccid Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2010
    South Point OH
    Great idea! I just got the front suspension back on the vette and was trying to think of some way to get the tires & Wheels back on it and still keep it up. I know what I'll be building in the next few days :) Thanks!

7. Camaro16

Camaro16 Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2006
    carthage ny
    Stupid question but how did you jack the car up that high?

8. Not a problem...Glad "WE" could help....

Not at all a stupid question and not easy on an already LOW car...Floor Jack the front as high as you can, put some Jack Stands under it,lower the Jack and add some blocks...I used a couple 2x6's and then lifted it the rest of the way... Repeat for rear...Take your time...Its putting the car way up there...

9. 73Camaro383

73Camaro383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 29, 2010
    texas
    How in the hell did you get it that high to begin with. My poor jack doesnt go that high!

10. See the post before yours...