Tips for installing the door, window, trunk weatherseals

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 76_TypeLT, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I am getting close to installing the door, window and trunk weatherseals. I am going to use 3M 08008 adhesive. Any tips or tricks for achieving a good install?

The door weatherseal has the little pegs/pins that press into the door. Do I press one pin in, apply some adhesive and then do the next pin, etc?

The window and trunk weatherseals fit in channels, so I am thinking I need to apply a bead of adhesive in the channel and then press the weatherseal in.

FWIW, the door/window weatherseals are GM, the trunk is Metro brand.

2. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    Aaron,
    Prep, Prep, Prep. Wipe both parts off good.
    Sounds about right on the window and trunk seals. a healthy bead around that.
    The door... not sure. I would dab a bit around the base of the tab, jam it in and continue that way with a thin bead in between them. But that is just me. I am no where near that process yet.
    Is that 3M the yellow stuff? I hear that is the good stuff to use.

3. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Aaron. I only applied the contact adhesive to the ends of each of the weather seals, both door and trunk. That way I'm able to remove them if necessary in the future without too much mess. Also, I'd pre-fit your trunk seal, cut to length, then install. I had an issue with the thickness of the trunk seal as I couldn't close the trunk tight enough for proper panel alignment after the new seal was in. So, I kind of glued in one end, then stretched the seal as I pushed it into the channel which thinned it out just enough to enable the trunk to close a fit tighter. I hope this makes sense.

Darren

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    I agree with 70Chev. No adhesive except the ends. Use generously there. The white plastic pins do a nice job keeping the weatherstrip tight to the doors and the window channels hold it in place well too. I do use it for the trunk.

5. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Great info, thanks for sharing! I am glad I asked in advance. This will make my life much easier.

Re: the adhesive, this is in the green/black tube. The main difference as I can tell is the color of the adhesive. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262880955995

6. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Yep, that's the good stuff on black.

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    Just a side note... I remember the green weatherstrip adhesive used to be called gorilla snot. :)

Cant go wrong with 3M. Im guessing you painted your window area, I was just pulling off the drip rails last night and noticed there was not much weatherstrip adhesive on the weatherstrip on my 1970, looks as thought the screws mostly held it in place.

8. 76_TypeLT

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, that's good to know.

I installed the lower door weatherseals and they fit well, so that was good. I need to add some adhesive on the ends where the screws go but first needed some new stainless screws.

9. I was just suggested this video by youtube. Food for thought on how much adhesive is needed

jthomas likes this.