Tips and hints please

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Shyheim Pierce, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Shyheim Pierce

Shyheim Pierce New Member

Oct 12, 2016
    So im planning on building a bbc camaro of the 78-81 era is there any big hints or tips to the build in regards that even tho alot of people dislike big wheels i would like to do a staggered fit of 24s in the rear and 22s up front... Chasis help transmission help and brake help would be most usueful ive already been digging on the motor stuff

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    If it's running & drivable now leave it that way until your engine is ready to go in.
    Do things one at a time. Breaks one week end & get it done. Sub frame connectors the next weekend, get it done. Drive shaft upgrade, new rear gears. I wouldn't even think about tires & rims now. 24" rims in the back, not for me, save those for a pimp wagon. 18's in the rear, 17's up front. If you make it look to flashy it won't look right.

Shyheim Pierce likes this.
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

22s & 24s? you'll have to jack it up. Stock BBC/AC car springs might do the trick.

4. Shyheim Pierce

Oct 12, 2016
    It will look close to this exterior wise... But more tucked a lil bit i know the front will need a slight higher height do to the 24s all around on this one but im along the lines of it... But the performance is what i most care about i want to make sure thats done before anything... Brake wise would i be able to find a full disc conversion i would like to do that...and rearend wise am i going to have to redo the whole rearend for a bbc swap with a new drive shaft and etc

Attached Files:

5. Shyheim Pierce

Oct 12, 2016
    Heres one staggered with 22s up front and 24s in the rear

Attached Files:

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    not a big fan on large diameter/low profile tires on second gens. 18's are about as big as Id go on a second gen.

If your planning to build, that means you dont already have the camaro?

Shyheim Pierce likes this.
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If that is what you like, have at it. Its your car, enjoy. Know it won't be popular with most fans, and resale will likely be negatively impacted, as well as the driving experience - handling, braking, etc. IMO the visual proportions are wrong. The wheel wells aren't big enough for bigger than 18s IMO, although i have seen a little bigger look good.

You can see you will need a high stance. I'd be curious of the distance from the center of the wheels to the fender lips on those cars. Once you have that picking the right springs and correct length shocks will be easier to select.

BTW I moved this form the ground up forum. This has nothing to do with that company.

8. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Camaro Pimpmobile.
    opinion: I hate it.

giggity likes this.
  9. Shyheim Pierce

Oct 12, 2016
    Yes only because im doing a good amount of research before hand

10. Shyheim Pierce

Oct 12, 2016
    Ive seen the bodystyle on 24s with no cutting yes it involves a stance and it may not look good to you but it does to me.... Im aaking for help performance wise not the size of my wheels thats just me and how i ride... You all are picking that out of the bunch of what im asking about... I know its possible i know its difficult thats why im utilizing references like these so it would be helpful for suspension chasis work or brakes and stuff for a bbc build for this era car period