Tip to remove rear view button mount?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by sunkenloot, Jun 4, 2015.

1. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Sometimes it seems like the most simple of things turn out to be the biggest pain.

Right after I got my car I had a new windshield installed. The glass guy bozo put on a new button. It never held the mirror right. Was always wobbley.

Now I am looking at putting on a new mirror. Some of these have a GPS readout and dashcam in them so I really want it to be solid so I need to get this wierdo button off.

Problem is, I cant get that damn button off. I tried heat (lightly). I tried getting under it with a blade. I tried some whacks with a punch. I tried twisting with vise grips. Nadda

What kind of solvent will dissolve the glue used on these things?

It kills me I cant get this stupid thing off. I'm trying real hard not to monkey arm it and end up cracking the windshield.

So, anyone got any tips as to what to try next?

2. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    Just an idea: Go to a store and look at a package for the glue for a rearview mirror and see what type of solvent the instructions show for cleaning that up.

3. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    heat will get it off but its got to get real hot. dont try to force it off are you will break the glass underneath.

4. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    I have to currently do this to my IROC. I put the button to the right to far and as soon as I stuck it on I couldn't get the dang thing back off. I was looking this up and found that a butane torch directed on the button itself will heat it up and it should come off. You will want a wet towel or rag to catch the hot piece of metal when it comes off though. Thinking about trying it after work tonight.

5. Heat is the method I've used and works well. The last one came off with just a heat gun.

6. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Heat gun would work too, but my only concern there was with a heat gun you will be getting heat directed on the windshield too. Didn't know if that will hurt anything or not, but with the butane torch it can be more directed at just the button and not the windshield.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The hot sun loosened mine off one day until the mirror fell off.

8. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Yea, I have never had one I couldn't get off. I think I am going to give a quick focused blast of MAPP gas and if that doesn't help dab it down in Nail polish remover.

9. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    WARNING! Well I just tried to use a butane torch to get the button off and didn't see that it was cooking the glass on the other side. So now there are bubbles in the laminate and it looks like I just cost myself a windshield. I'm assuming it can't be fixed and that it will eventually crack. So glad this was not my second gen. So learn from my screw up and don't use the butane torch or at least have someone to watch the outside of the windshield.

10. SH74OUR

SH74OUR Veteran Member

May 27, 2013
    london ontario
    Why any automotive engineer ever came up with the adhesive rear view mirror mount is beond me! I always thought it was for saftey so that it would break away in the event of a frontal crash??

Lol...I once wintnessed a angry road raging driver in front of me spaz out and ripped his rear view mirror right off in one swip!! Thats one way to remove it ;) that guy was fuming.