Tip for working on the cold garage floor

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Smokin'Joe, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    I'll start..., chime in with your tips..., - I recently moved to a different house and for some reason the garage of the new place stays much colder than the one at my old place, especially the slab floor. - I was not looking forward to climbing under my truck to do a simple oil change when I spotted a piece of rigid foam insulation that was leftover from the general contractor who did some repairs. - This particular piece was about 3' wide and 5' long and perfect for sliding under the truck. I slid it under and laid on top of it while changing the oil. - All I can say is this was a brilliant idea. - The foam kept the cold from the floor below and the heat from me above, plus it was kindof squishy so it was like a padded insulated platform. The one I used was only $14 and smooth on both sides and even wiped clean when I was done. I would recommend this to anyone working on their car on a cold slab during the winter.

Here is a link to one at Home Depot ---> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rmax-R-M...ulation-Board-W-N5075X/100317820?N=5yc1vZbaxx

--

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  2. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I'm usually well clothed when lying on concrete floors...not all the time, but most of the time

3. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Niceville, Florida
    I use an "anti-fatigue mat" which I got from Harbor Freight. It also insulates and pads, but the nice thing is that it also keeps me from getting tired.

4. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have a few carpet scraps with thick padding I use, one of them is 6 feet by 4 feet. Works pretty good if I am in a rush and don't have time to let the furnace get the garage warm.

5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found some of those puzzle interlocking 2 foot square anti fatigue things in the dumpster, nice cause I can break them apart and put them on top of garage fridge, put two together for a quick under the car thing, or pop all 8 together and have the whole undwer side of car covered. they do wipe off if anything spills. best of all they were free. Great idea on the rigid foam insul board! I also always pick up used carpet when I see it on the side of the road. I have a piece that goes all the way across the front of my garage, 6 foot wide.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I use my creeper. It is kind of like a wheelchair for an old mechanic. ;)

7. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    R value

I have about 20 foam pads from HF (get 'em on sale) and I stack them usually 2 deep and over a large area.

I don't want my any part of me in contact with the concrete. That stuff is a heat sink!

I had a guy on a tour last year and we got talking cars. He said one day he laid under his truck just to do a quickie. When he got up his back was cold and got sore. It got so bad he has never been able to work on cars again.

8. M16

M16 New Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Michigan thumb
    Cardboard, I usually keep a piece in the rafters.

9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    i caught a carpet truck on day. Took all of his "old" carpet. 3 pieces covers the entire garage floor 22x22. It's nothing i go clean but...yeah i will vacuum it annually as well as blow out the garage with the blower.
    Works great....warm ish to the feet

10. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan