timing tab troubles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by flybye70ss, Jan 14, 2003.

1. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Allen, TX
    i have a 1978 chevy 350 currently in the car as i bought it, and when i wnet to check the timing, the timing tab was located directly in the center of the timing cover behind the water pump. since then i have bought a new balancer, and two new timing covers with the tabs located on the driver's side, just like every other 350. Am i wrong and my motor has the timing tab in the center, or am i doing the impossible and making a motor run with the timing that far off. when ever i time it from the traditional driver side tab, it reads about 60 degrees advanced. any suggestions would be great, simply because it bugs me.

2. FSEVENTY

FSEVENTY Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Mesa, AZ USA
    I curious too. I noticed the timing was way out and looked at the crappy stock dampner with it's bulging rubber ring and decided to replace it. I haven't checked the timing yet, but I bet it is the same, and I will need to get another timing tab that bolts to the side of the timing cover.

------------------
    1970 RS
    350, 700R4, 3.73 posi
    <><
    Drive it till it wears out, rebuild it, then drive it some more!
    Pic of "The Blue Skunk"

3. Greg Mc

Greg Mc Veteran Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Hernando, MS
    Compare the new balancer to the old one. if the timing mark and the keyways are the same then you time it with the pointer that is on the top center. If when you align the keyway for both balancers and then one of them has the timing mark to the right of the other one then the balancer that has the timing mark to the right requires a timing tab that you mount in the standard location which is about the 2 o'clock position.

I put a chrome timing cover on my car and used the standard pointer. My original pointer was in the same location as you describe. But when I did this I had to cut a slight (band saw) mark in my original balancer. The new mark is probably 1 1/2 inches farther to the right of the original mark. I did this when the engine was out of the car with #1 at TDC so it was esay to mark the balancer properly in relation to my new pointer.

4. flybye70ss

flybye70ss Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2002
    Allen, TX
    so there is a timing tab in the twelve o clock position. that makes more sense. i was just hoping that was the case. i will go purchase a fliudampr soon, and i wiil verify that the tab is in the 2 o'clock position. thanks for clearing that up for me.