Throw out bearing style

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ThomasD., Oct 28, 2017.

1. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Ok. Not to belabor this point. But I’ve decided to refrain from the needle bearings and stay with a solid pilot bearing. Now I’m given the choice of the original oiled bronze or a ‘Kevlar’ Solid bearing. Other than it obviously being ‘bulletproof ‘ (lol) is it worth the $40 additional cost?

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Stay with the orig bronze oiled. Why recreate the wheel when something already has worked for decades.
    [​IMG]

Dave Nelson likes this.
  3. ThomasD.

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Ok, ok ok. I get it. I’ve ordered the oiled bronze pilot bearing. Nobody carries the oiled bronze locally, only the needle bearing type. That’s why I was questioning the original oiled bronze style. Very good points made regarding the use of original type versus more modern style configurations. In this case sounds like Original is the winner. Thanks for all the input.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Just to add a bit more to this, my engine builder said to be careful which ones you buy. There are some cheap Chinese knock-offs out there that are bronze plated steel bearings. The bronze wears off and then you have steel-against-steel. Not good.
    Of course he didn't say where to get the good ones.

5. ThomasD.

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Ordered one from Summit Racing made by RAM. They didn’t have much else to choose from.

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    This is why I mentioned "non magnetic"if a magnet sticks to the one you ordered maybe you can return it, there are some vendors on Ebay that still have the all bronze.

7. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

Autogear carries the correct bronze.

I have damaged pilot tip ends on GTO, LT1, and LS1 input shafts. Every one from a roller pilot bearing. I put less then 2,000 miles on an LT1 T56 before it happened and I even verified the tip and rollers were lined up by how far I drove it in.

Haven't seen a damaged crank from it.

My experiences with bronze have been just fine. That's my vote.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. ThomasD.

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Just got the Bronze RAM Bushing from Summit. Bright bronze color and verified that it's non Magnetic. Looks like we have a winner for $7.95 !!!!

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Any GM dealer will have one or can order a proper bronze one.

Good to know about the summit option...