Throw out bearing style

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by ThomasD., Oct 28, 2017.

1. ThomasD.

ThomasD. Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Just getting the LT1 about finished with the balancing, blue printing, and assembly. Wondering about going with roller clutch release bearing. Not wanting to go to hydraulic clutch release but figured there must be a better alternative than the stock oiled bronze. Any recommendations for brand and style? Thanks

2. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Are you talking about a throw out bearing or a crank pilot bushing? I have always used a oiled bronze pilot bushing with no problems. Make sure the bushing is non magnetic oiled bronze.

3. ThomasD.

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Thought that they also had needle bearing type pilot bushings. My original was oiled bronze of course but heard that there were improved versions.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    DO NOT use a roller bearing in the crank pilot. If the bearing fails it will wreck the crank.
    The bronze bushings have worked fine since 1955, no need to mess with it.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Every modern car for the last 20+ years used a roller type pilot bearing. The needle are captured on the crank side. They can't fall into the bell housing. Lets say it does fail, the bearing housing remains. I don't see how it would damage a crank. Any insight?

6. ThomasD.

Feb 23, 2010
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Sorry. Need to proof read my posts more. Was asking about recommendations for both a throw out and pilot bearing.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Double that. It’s all hype with the roller junk.

8. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Here is some info I found about Pilot bearings.
    Needle bearing (rolling element)
    Unless these are original equipment, it's not usually advisable to use them in place of a sintered bronze pilot bearing. If a rolling element type bearing is going to be used, it's imperative that the bellhousing opening to transmission input shaft alignment be within 0.002" to prevent premature bearing failure. In the case of a bronze bushing type bearing, there is more leeway for any misalignment.

It's been stated that the roller needle bearing has a Rockwell hardness of about 57 and the newer transmission's gears are rated between 61 and 63. In cases where the input shaft may be 'softer' than the needle bearings (like possibly in older transmissions), there is a chance undue wear could occur to the input shaft, possibly necessitating replacement.

9. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I can't tell you exactly the process, but I've seen the destruction in person. When the pilot bearing fails, pieces make their way into odd places, and dig in.

Comparing an engine that was specifically designed for a roller pilot bearing to one that was not is bunk. It's just like talking about some aspect of an LSx vs a Gen 1 Small Block - the engines have almost nothing to do with each other.

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I agree, I read somewhere that the transmission input shaft hardness plays a role whether your application will allow their use. That's different then bearings just sucking and failing.