Thread-bombing sale ads. READ PLEASE.

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by POS71RS, Jan 9, 2014.

1. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    In the case where a seller is blatantly misrepresenting a car and being deceptive answering questions, I feel everyone did justice in saving someone from buying that mess. If someone says they are selling a real factory made RS and it isn't, it seems that a Camaro board is kind of the place to find that out. To me that is different than people badgering a seller about price for no reason.

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    That's kind of the way I feel, To me there are several different type of Camaros out there:

1. 100% legitimate cars that bear the original parts or restored correctly and represented so with correct documentation. (these are the Barrett Jackson prices in most cases)

2. Cars that "look" legitimate but can be a misrepresentation. Such represented as a low mile car, untouched barn find, or even a desirable car such as a rare optioned or high desired optioned car.

3. Tribute cars, such as a car that looks like an optioned car but the seller is disclosing the modifications. And the car is priced accordingly and below what the actual counterpart would be.

4. Non-original cars, the ones that has an obviously different drivetrain, parts off different years, non-matching parts, could be a nice resto-mod with an EFI swap or brake upgrade. But usually these cars are done so well that they look clean and have a good amount of detail done to them. These cars are usually partially done by a professional or an experienced owner that has the tools and knowledge to do the build right.

5. And lastly, the shade tree mechanic special. These are the cars that are usually something that has been cobbled together on a limited budget and as cheaply as possible to get by. These cars are the ones with the mix-matched components from different years such as a obviously original AC dash in a non AC car, or used door panels from a different car that has been spray bombed. They might have a decent paint job, but little detail is done anywhere else. Just what needs to be fixed.

Nothing wrong with a that, I had a 78 like that in HS. People do what they can to make this hobby work.

Problem is, when someone markets a car as an original XXX and there's an obviously a discrepancy in something on the car...then it's not really an "original XXX" is it?

It should worded like "an original XXX according to the VIN or documentation on hand, but it has been modified over the years. Otherwise it makes the seller look deceptive or an clueless on what they have.

Problem is, you catch a lot of people (especially on CL) with #5's trying to price these cars like a #1

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2012
    California

My thoughts too. If I was about to drop $19K+ on a car that was being mis-represented (because not all of us are the experts to tell), I would want to know about it. Now the seller may have some heart ache with that, but I think thats only fair to NastyZ28 members. I feel if you come here to sell a car and more importantly buy one, Nastyz28.com members are obligated to call out fakes and take measure (public post) to ensure you don't get ripped off. If the seller has a hidden agenda to actually mis-represent for his own financial gain, your tactful PM will probably do no good.

But all post should be civil. :innocent:

4. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    Both of you I agree with. I've said already that I'm all about protecting buyers on here.

It sounds like all 3 of us are on the same page regarding one recent example. The car had all the signs of a RS car. The poster that pointed out the 'variances' doesn't have his facts straight.

Now, the sad part is that because someone misled others by establishing what he thought to be true, a member (the OP) had his thread crapped on for 3 pages worth, and countless members are assuming that the seller misrepresented his car. It's one thing to point out factual flaws and say "hey, someone is going to get had"
    But it's another to spitball misconceptions and argue over 'split bumper' over 'RS'.

You can call my car either, I could care less... just don't call it a Piece Of Sh.....t. ;)
    The only time I see a reason to argue that sort of terminology is when a mono-bumper coupe has RS bumpers on it. That's a whole other mess.

5. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    See it's just another fine example of how the site & membership has changed & not for the better unfortunatly!!! You guys wonder why long time members have left??? These types of posts are perfect examples. Poor guy was a long time member all be it a (lurker) non-poster & our resident so called experts rip him and his car apart two guys in particular...Unbeliveable....would love to see your cars guys!!!! He didn't advertise it so you guys could rip him & the car apart. He may have worded it inappropriatly but no one can prove it wasn't a factory RS. These cars are "OLD" and unless you have an unmolested example things get replaced modified,lost broken etc by previous owners. Quite frankly not all of them are all original any more.
    Like I'm sure many have herd once in your life: You got nothing good to say then keep your damn mouth shut! Anyone looking for these types of cars knows enough to do some research to know what to expect. Even so that was a nice car & weather he was asking $10 grand or $20 who the hell are we to say he can't ask that? Unless you got cash in your pocket & you are legitimate buyer then butt out, plain and simple!
    Wow, I would love to see your unsolisited expert opinions on my car....Especially when I end up asking more then what that guy was asking!!!

Unfreaking beliveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  6. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

ok, now I am really confused...:screwup: :confused:

7. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Yeah I don't argue that the thread was handled poorly by everyone involved including myself.

I definitely learned something from all of this, and will keep my mouth shut from here on.

Whether the car is overpriced, not appearing original, and so forth...that will be up to the seller and the potential buyer to work out.

8. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    How many "Experts" have come up to anyone on this site and started pointing out things at a car show...

"The 130 mph Speedo isn't original to a 79' "

"You've got the wrong hood scoop on"

etc. etc. etc. Yeah, it's not fun but that's life I guess. Re-reading the thread, it was heading downhill though.

but he got it sold!!!

9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I've done that at care shows, especially on GTO's or a 69 Z28...I ask the owner if it's an original car or a clone

10. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    Yeah no thanks to the great opinions offered up by certain people here!
    Glad he was able to sell it also!