Thowing belt at high RPM

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by weasel78, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TheFly

TheFly Guest

seen em in the chrome parts/ricer section of autozone..........

2. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    Hmmm.... I had to shim the living daylights out of my waterpump to get the belt to clear the alternator bracket... NOTHING is lined up on mine, pretty atrocious looking actually, but it has yet to throw a belt... (now that i've said it....)

3. smallblock413

smallblock413 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    reidsville
    just alt...

sorry so long to reply but i truck and don't get to check often...ijust run it for alternator..no powersteering pump since i run skinnys in front..turning is no problem...electric waterpump ...electricfans:cool: ;) ;)

4. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Are you 100% sure that the balancer is pressed all the way on? Had a pulley alignment problem, found by turning the crank bolt that the balancer was not quite all the way there.

5. BUSHY 409

BUSHY 409 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Acworth GA.
    Have you seen the difference in water pumps junk from south S/T/B are all different !

6. weasel78

weasel78 Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Flint, MI
    I got my spacers, installed and I'm still throwing the belt. Its the old belt still, going to pick up a new one tomorrow and see if the alignment along with new belt fixes the problem.

7. blue79z28

blue79z28 New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    port huron mi
    new guy but i had the same problem i used a serpentine set up off a 4.3 v6 to solve it utill i could get the march set up just trying to help :bowtie:

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Keep an eye on your accessory brackets, I bet one or more is flexing and throwing the belt off...may look perfectly aligned sitting with the motor off and does good until 5000r's and then it flexes. What I use is a good strong surveyer's type of string tied around the pulleys that can help ya see if they are lined up good or not.

9. bbcfast1

bbcfast1 Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Dryden mi
    pullys arnt lined up.

I see some people recomend underdrive pullys. I wouldnt do it if voltage is an issue. Ive had this same problem and fixed it. I now run a midmount alt bracket due to my elec water pump.

[​IMG]

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I've been down your road a couple of times. Once it was a bent alternator bracket. The other even though the pulleys looked aligned, something was wrong with them. I changed ALL of the pulleys and the problem went away (and to cut the pulleys up to make sure that I never used them again).