Thowing belt at high RPM

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by weasel78, Jun 21, 2008.

1. weasel78

weasel78 Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Flint, MI
    I'm a tad annoyed just went for drive and every time I get on it, up to around 5000 rpm, I throw the alternator/water pump belt. I've put a straight edge on the pulleys and they all line up nicely, any suggestions from the long time pro's????

2. kik_start

kik_start BANNED

Sep 3, 2006
    gone crazy
    not a long time pro but, replace the belt...once they come off they will always come off.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
  4. weasel78

weasel78 Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Flint, MI
    It was a brand new belt....mind you it was the Autozone brand. But it really only lasted about 5 miles from new to thrown, then threw it at every stop light when I got on it.

5. grasmo

grasmo Veteran Member

Dec 21, 2005
    tallahassee, fl
    i'll bet it's throwing it when it shifts? i had the same problem years ago. pita. i had to just tighten the p*ss out of 'em. i'm sure it sacrificed some bearing life but it quit throwing them. i guess they would get some backlash at the shifts and just fling 'em off. grasmo.

6. weasel78

weasel78 Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Flint, MI
    Very will could be throwing it a the shift. I wasn't paying that close of attention. I was trying to keep it straight on the road, it sure is a pain to pull over and put it back on though. The good thing was I threw a 9/16 wrench and a large screwdriver in the back seat before I took off for the drive. Anyone else have a magic cure for the belt throwing blues??

7. 72-SS-396

72-SS-396 Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I had the same issue, but it was around 6k RPM +. Just like you, my pulley's were straight, but they were the large stock ones. My fix was a set of underdrive March pulley's and haven't thrown one yet all the way up to 7,800 RPM.

8. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    As much as you think the pulleys are straight they likely are not. The magic cure is to get the pulleys lined up, easier said than done sometimes. I use a laser pointer on a pulley groove to shoot the other pulleys to see what's lined up and what isn't.

9. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 Veteran Member

May 22, 2005
    Hamden,CT
    I used to have the same problem at about 6500+, I switched to a good quality Gates belt and no more problems.

10. weasel78

weasel78 Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Flint, MI
    That is a good idea, didn't think of that. I have one of the lasers that shoots a line....I will try that route. I really don't want to shell out the $500 for a march pulley set.