Thoughts on 2" dropped spindles

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CorkyE, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    And although its not as easy as adjusting ride height with a coil over, you can definitely tweak your ride height using alum coil spacers or trimming the coils and its much cheaper.

However I read some conflicting opinions regarding tall ball joints and stock upper arms on a lowered car, convincing me to not use them. Look into that, my info may be stale.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

What did you hear? I've never heard anything but good. only exception is if they tried push too much caster you can get weird ball joint angles but that's not the fault of the joint.

Plus you better tell Ride Tech that's one of the key ingredients in their street grip system.

3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I'm not telling anybody anything, just that I read some conflicting information and that swayed me to avoid them when I did mine. Like I said it may not be correct.

http://scandc.com/new/node/626

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Then Marcus is at odds with other folks. Or is he? he also specifically called out 1st gen camaros.

I did mention alignment and joint angles. Truth is you can't get a lot of caster with stock arms, and you wouldn't dial in much more than -.75° to maybe -1° camber on a street car, much less than what that article alludes to (he says a LOT). which is more his market than a simple street car.

I'll take a Howe or pro-forged tall joint any day.

I guess we'll find out if street grip systems start puking ball joints the way cheap chinese control arms do.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Good catch. Missed that may have just had my generations crossed. I never asked on nasty but probably should have before deciding on no.

So this no tall ball joint with a stock upper arm doesn't seem to affect 2nd gens. I do see ridetech including them, I imagine they checked geometry for binding.

I probably should consider adding them to my setup since they look like they yeild a big improvement over stock....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  6. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Dickson TN.
    we've been using tall upper ball joints for over 10 years, Marcus has as well, tall lower ball joints with a lot of positive caster leads to too much bump steer in second gens, many people get a only half the information and or cris cross the information years and platforms.
    FYI drop spindles do affect geometry, even though the mounting points don't move in relationship to the frame they ALL do in relationship to the tire contact patch and that is what the geometry is referenced to because without tires you have nothing.