Thoughts on 2" dropped spindles

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by CorkyE, Jan 15, 2019.

1. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's not a real popular way to lower the front end on a 2nd gen because of the way it affects front end geometry. Most of us have installed lowering springs with negative effects.

ADMIN EDIT: These posts were moved from a for sale thread. Its an interesting conversation, but inappropriate for swap meet section.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2019
  2. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

How do spindles change the geometry? All its doing is moving the mounting location of the wheel up and doesn't change where the control arms sit. Changing the spring would move all the control arms upward which would change the geometry.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

CorkyE is correct, and one of the reasons you do not see allot of true second gen Camaro spindles with a “drop” offering. Springs are the better way to go.

Q, How they change geometry.

A -well first you effect and increase scrub radius, then in my case, once the lowered ride height was attained, got positive camber gain under bump, needless to say the 2” drop spindles came off as it gave me Exactly What I did not want.

4. rustorbust

OK, well this is just a fun street car that will get me to work every once and a while and just having fun driving it around town. Im sure it will be just fine for a daily driver.

Again, if you got a set id like to buy a pair.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you would have more fun driving the car with coil overs to lower the front, at least you can adjust them up or down to get the ride height you were after, and probably a better spring rate , and a better shock in the bargain

6. rustorbust

What would you recommend for a coilover setup? This is a budget deal and wasn’t planning on spending to much on suspension stuff and I know those kits can get costly.

7. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I believe there are several bolt in kits, for around 500 with single adjustable shocks , QA1, Global west, and I am sure many others , just try a search for coil over kits for your year Camaro, and research your results, some better then others, that way , it is easy to put it back or use the parts, if you upgrade the control arms

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Once you do your coilover research and hopefully find something in your budget, then ask for opinions on the brands you've chosen. Make it clear that there's a budget so no one needs to recommend high dollar stuff.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

If you want to keep it reasonable in price just get some decent coil springs. That and some tall ball joints and it will drive better than what you have & drop spindles. No need for coil overs.

A call to Custom Works or PTFB will go a long way for you.

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was a huge fan of the drop spindle on a few vehicles I had. The Camaro wasn't one of them. I never was able to look into it before I sold the car but I had bump steer issues with mine. If I did it over again it would listen to Bonzo.