those were the days!!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by jimrr, Jan 16, 2019.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Trust me, I have and use rewards cards. But I don't use them for "expendables" typically. I have most of my recurring bills paid via credit card (electric, satellite, internet...), also use the credit card for major purchases (TV, appliances, etc) as we get a free 2nd year of warranty that way. Airline, hotel and other travel expenses go on a card too.

Usually net between $2 - 3,000 per year in rewards (lots of business travel).

And yes, the bill is paid in full every month.

2. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I also remember "back in those days" after getting married I applied for a Sears credit card, denied, no established credit. Went out to the local Sears store, woman said I needed to buy something, make payments for a while and try again. I bought an 8 track tape deck (still have it - still works), made several payments, got the credit card.
    Seems to be a lot easier these days!

Old Sears card isn't all that handy nowadays though.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I pay cash as much as possible. I do have one credit card for the rare time I need to get a hotel room or rent a car. Those are credit card only. I pay that card off each month. Sometimes, I'll pay the card before the bill gets to me. If the only credit purchase is $120, I pay that to the card right away. Cash is faster and if I don't have any, I probably don't need it that much anyway.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Pretty unique time in history, for sure. We're hell and gone from that now.:)
    LOL, I get the best advice from folks who know nothing of my children.:rolleyes: :)

You know what took me back today? This picture-
    [​IMG]

Six online gamer "friends" meeting for the first time to support their terminally ill pal. None of them had ever met in person, didn't know what they looked like, but they got together in support of an online friend going through a tough time.

Reminds me of a spring day in 2005, put a smile on my face.:)

5. BARNFIND

BARNFIND Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2007
    GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
    I grew up in a suburb of Pittsburgh, there was one house on my school bus ride that had two guys that lived with their mom that worked in the mills, first they had a pair of Yenko Novas then a pair of Yenko Camaros then finally a pair of 1970 SS Chevelles...those were the days!