those were the days!!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by jimrr, Jan 16, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    I f you go on Pinterest there's a ton of those ads on there. I liked the one for a new Plymouth Superbird for like $3500.

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Coming out of high school they also weren’t being darn near forced into 50-100k debt for school loans, nor did they HAVE to have spend on computers or cellphones. The gaming thing hadn’t yet arrived so no $1000 console plus huge tv plus headphones plus the cost of the actual friggin games etc.
    Not to mention car insurance is freakin outrageous these days. Especially if you’ve had a ticket for anything.

Seems to me that there’s a lot more things for young people to spend money -and a lot of it- on these days. And hot cars and the hobby in general have fallen off greatly to boot. (And I’m going to stay away from the soap box pertaining to the overall lack of individual style, engines etc of modern cars. Yes they ride nice but I remember when you could identify WHAT kind of car was coming at you in the dark just by the headlight/marker lights.)

3. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Nov 22, 2014
    northern ohio
    Yea that happens all the time, lol. Plenty of $30 an hour jobs out there. My dad moved to Ohio in 1964 because jobs were more plentiful here. He tells stories of driving 6hrs back home to see my mom on the weekends & only spending $20 the whole weekend. Gas, food, & whatever else he needed. Think he said he made like 85 cents an hr in 1964. Crazy

4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Think of it as adding 25%+ of the sticker to a car for performance upgrades.
    Today, a $50,000 car would add $12,500 to it's price.
    I think those cars were around $4000 new back then.

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I saw on the news this morning that Amazon is now letting kids set up their own purchasing profile. Now their debt (or mommy and daddy's debt) will be higher than ever.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    No one is "forced" into taking out massive student loans.

There are plenty of ways to make it through school without them or at least to greatly minimize the amount of debt taken on. Student loans are the easy way out for those that didn't plan on how to make it through without huge debt. If you are going to take out student loans - make sure to get a degree in something that will allow you an income to pay them off in a timely manner. Taking out school loans is an investment in yourself - don't take out a loan unless you have a plan to be able to pay it back.

Racking up $100,000+ in debt to get a degree where your expected income won't be enough to allow you to pay it back is ludicrous, but you see people doing it everyday. You need to have a plan, not just want to go to school on the party plan.

In almost all cases, no one cares where you get your degree from. The first two years of school are pretty much generic - if finances are a problem - go to a local Juco (make sure the credits will transfer to your future school) for the first 2 years and saves tons of cash. Then transfer to the 4 year school and get your degree.

No one needs the latest $1,000 plus cellphone. Perfectly adequate computers for school use can be had for well under $500.00. And seriously - do they need a $1,000.00 console or even a TV (much less a big one)?

Insurance cost are basically the same today as it was years ago (comparing income to cost). Tickets are a personal problem - they cost people more back in the day and they cost people more today. Nothing has changed in that regard.

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I remember seeing those adds in a variety of magazines back in the day,

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Here we go again....
    Jimrr, thanks for posting that ad. And you're right. For me, those were the days. The ad took me back and I'm taking it in the spirit it was intended.

Smokey15 and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

So buying stuff automatically leads to debt? Big jump in logic there.

10. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    haha I was just thinking that. Today's "lessons" are about to start

Smokey15 and Knuckle Dragger like this.