This '73 RS Worth The $?

Discussion in 'Camaros for Sale' started by Emerson Duxbury, Jan 22, 2017.

1. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    I bought my 73 Z28 Type Lt in Pittsburgh 4 years ago. All #s matching but very rusty. I paid $6500 but i got lucky, haven't seen barely anything else like it around here since. Next one im going to Texas or Oklahoma,

2. Emerson Duxbury

Emerson Duxbury New Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The responses seem to be very polar opposites haha. Seems as though people in my region agree with the price more so than those out of region.
    My main concern is that I will pass on this one and than another RS will not come up for a while as I have already been searching for a while.

Here are a few more photos of the exterior issues I pulled from a video of the car.
    (Is there a way to post the video here??? That would help the most.)

CAP5.PNG CAP 6.PNG CAP1.PNG

Attached Files:

3. Emerson Duxbury

Jan 22, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Alright I uploaded the video to Vimeo. The video link is attached below.
    The sound of the vehicle at the end is muffled due to my Iphone. Car sounds a lot better!!
    Thanks for the info everyone!!

4. bodymanbill

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Emerson if u only have ten grand to spend check the floors and rear frame rails, if there soild buy it, anyone who says its not worth it hasn't tried to find a 70-73 that's decent in this area. They r either garbage for around 5 grand or over 20 for something decent. If u get it bring it by my shop id love to see it. Its cool to see guys in there 20s into these cars and not the Hondas and Subarus

5. Emerson Duxbury

Jan 22, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The floors and trunk are solid but the rear frame rails are rusty. Could not get under the vehicle very well but there was visible surface rust in spots. Nothing raised an alarm to me underneath from what I could see. The car was bought from Kentucky originally. This owner has had it for 5 years and is garage kept.
    BodyMan Bill being from Pitt you understand what I am dealing with here. If he could come down just a little I would feel a little better about it. He claims to have gotten it appraised at $12,500 but who knows.
    What is your shop called??

6. bodymanbill

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    PM sent. Or i mean conversation

7. bodymanbill

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    image.jpg Heres the area ur looking for on the frame. This area has multiple layers and rusts inbetween them. There up by the front leaf spring mounts. This pic is after i cut a small section out further back but u can see the rot further up by the round holes

8. Djais1801

Djais1801 Member

Nov 27, 2016
    are your intentions to leave it as a race car, or return it to more stock condition. if it was/is a race car, i'd be worried about body flex, making sure the frame is straight, etc. good luck. You're young enough to play with it, get it right, and then meet the girl of your dreams, sell it along with your soul for a honda pilot ;)

bodymanbill likes this.
  9. Emerson Duxbury

Jan 22, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It was a drag car for a while which explains the roll cage, traction bar, and fuel injection system. If purchased I would drive it as it is for a little while and see what needed to be fixed prior to starting in on anything. The guy says he has owned it for 5 years and has not touched anything on it other than having the carb rebuilt by a local shop. Says he only drives it about 10-15 times a year.
    Already married though and she loves the old muscle cars as well!! :D

Djais1801 likes this.
  10. Emerson Duxbury

Jan 22, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Got new photos of the underneath! I think that is a little to rusty and would require a lot of $$$ to fix. Will have to keep the search going!

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG