Third time's the charm, 1980 camaro build.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Ryan A., Feb 9, 2017.

1. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    I just got my third camaro project. The first one I got at 17 and it became a parts car for the second one which I got at 18. And at that age I wasn't ready for the project they became. Anyway now I'm 23 and I've learned a lot more about working on cars, and these are still my all time favorites.

It's a 1980, supposedly a berlinetta but I haven't checked the vin yet. It's got a rod knock, and needs floor plans.

My general plan, for starters I'm swapping the frame from a trans am that's been overhauled. (The firebird is a whole nother story.) I've got a 327 engine I'm going to rebuild, and a th350 I've already rebuilt. And I'll figure out the rest from there.

IMAG0829.jpg

2. jester0618

jester0618 Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Bryan, OH
    Welcome to the site!

3. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    Thanks. I really like this site.

4. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    I don't think I can start on the frame swap til Saturday. But I found some wheels in my dad's garage I'm going to use on it.
    IMAG0831_1.jpg
    They were white and moldy, and the polished part is completely faded. With a couple of hours of steel wool, and paint I think I got them looking pretty good. Needs some spots touched up, and clear coat, but I like how it turned out.

jester0618 likes this.
  5. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    My daily driver needed a starter, it's a Lexus (unfortunately) so the starter is under the intake. Doing that I saw my timing belt was cracked. So basically my plans for the camaro for today got ruined, but I did at least get the fenders off.

IMAG0834.jpg IMAG0840.jpg IMAG0841.jpg

6. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    I got the frame off this weekend, and the firewall and all was pretty decent so I just cleaned and painted it.
    Hoping to have the new frame on this evening.

Also a friend of my dad's came by, saw my camaro, and said he could do the floor pans in our shop. So that's pretty awesome.

IMAG0875.jpg IMAG0874.jpg IMAG0872.jpg IMAG0870.jpg IMAG0868.jpg IMAG0867.jpg IMAG0866.jpg

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Good progress. keep in mind any thing that is worth doing, do it right.

8. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    That's good advice, I admit I get impatient sometimes and rush things I shouldn't.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    rushing things happens to most of us. especially on stuff that is a long out process to get done. "too much attention on restoring the part"

10. Ryan A.

Ryan A. Member

Jul 3, 2013
    virginia
    Got the frame in place.
    IMAG0881.jpg
    Let me explain this thing. The frame control arms and spindles have been sand blasted and coated with por15. Detroit speed 1.375" swaybar, the gearbox is equivalent to an iroc, Howe racing pitman arm, pst steering linkage and balljoints, prostop drilled and slotted rotors, single piston calipers with large pistons, ceramic pads, summit racing stock height springs, and for now just cheap kyb shocks. All rubber parts have been replaced with polyurethane.
    The calipers and backing plates are painted gold, because they were going on a bandit trans am, I'll fix that later.

Next I'm doing the engine, it's a 327 out of a '60something impala. I'm building it pretty mind. I got a 2400 holeshot converter pretty cheap so I'm using it for this. And I rebuilt the transmission a while ago it has a long tail shaft, so I'll probably get the drive shaft shortened.
    IMAG0882.jpg