Third gen daily driver project...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, Jun 4, 2017.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    I ran back out to Pick and Pay in Beggs, Saturday morning, and snagged up both manual window regulators and the top half of the transmission cross member and trans mount I was missing. As soon as I round up the new outer window sweeps I can start assembling two new doors. People may think I'm crazy for switching power windows to manual but I'm tired of power windows that don't work or have constant problems. Not to mention, it's a lot less wiring I have to deal with...

I snagged up the "aero wing" even though I'm not going to use it. They are kinda rare and I plan on selling it to help offset my costs on this project...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    Well this should keep you busy for a few days.

3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    power windows suck

my 4th gen manual doors sell instantly, power doors go right into the dumpster

4. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Yeah, it'll keep me busy but I expect to be driving it before summer is over. So far, the little things I need have been coming together pretty quick and cheap. When the 84 was delivered to me there was a TPI setup in the trunk that didn't go to the car. It sold in a couple of weeks. The disc brake rear end out of the 87 parts car was spoken for before I even had it out. I still have lots of spare parts but I'm going to hold on to them until I know which ones I'll need to use. I'll be happy if I can make decent daily transportation out of this thing, and not have it be just another clapped out third gen...

5. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    I agree. My girlfriends impala had a broken power window regulator when she got it. I replaced it and it worked for about two weeks and quit again. I don't know if it's the regulator or the maybe the switch, now. I just know it's annoying... You got any third gen stuff? I still need a few things...

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    I do have an 86 Firebird 305/T5 car sitting in the yard
    [​IMG]

7. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Does it by chance have the factory ratchet jack and lug wrench in it? I'm going to need a bell housing and clutch fork too, although I'm supposed to be getting those back from my 84's original owner.

8. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    7/04/2017
    I scored these ground effects at different times. I found the red set a few weeks ago on Craigslist. They are 91-92 style and do fit but don't look right with the early "boxy" style of rest of the car.

The primered set I got from Bill Rose Musclecar Parts, (918) 664-1967 in Tulsa, about a week ago. They are 85-90 style and are still not "correct" but they are close and I think they will work if I can't locate a set of the early style. Either way, I will snag the Z28 emblems off the red set and use them on whichever set I go with...

[​IMG]

I got these bits from the Pick and Pay in Beggs 3 weeks ago. The inner sweep at the top is a good third gen piece. The 2 outer sweeps are 4th gen pieces that can be shortened to fit the 3rd gen doors and are much more durable over time. I had to pull the wiper arms to get the cowl screen off that I needed, so I went ahead and snagged them as spares...

[​IMG]

Here is the correct 3rd gen bell housing I got from my boss a week ago. It has a good release fork, the inspection cover, and even the factory bolts to attach the T-5 transmission.

The flywheel, I got from a friends dad. It's actually the correct part number for the car so I expect no issues with it.

[​IMG]

Here is the S-10 T-5 transmission that I already had on hand. It is a V6 unit with a 14 spline input shaft so I will have to be sure and not get too rough with it. The built 307 will be more than capable of shattering it easily. That's really not an issue since I have a herd of more capable hot rods for "spirited gear bangin".

The pressure plate I pulled from my stock. It's a V6 piece as well, but fits the flywheel. I just need to get a new 14 spline Clutch disc and I can mate the engine to the trans for installation. I'll have to swap the S-10 stick for the Camaro stick but I got it with the car.

Also, in the top left corner you can see the shorty headers from another friend. They are for an SBC engine swap into a Jeep CJ but they look like they might fit...

[​IMG]

9. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Last weekend the previous owner brought me the original transmission out of the car along with a rebuild kit for it, a new clutch kit, and the title. It's still not a world class T5 but it's stronger than the S10 V6 trans I had already so I may give rebuilding it a shot. It won't cost me much other than my time.

The total cost is one of the things I am keeping close tabs on. Due to the fact that the car wound up in my possession through a parts trade, and the 87 parts car was free for hauling it off, my cash outlay should be minimal for a project of this size. Also, I am accumulating a fair amount of spare/extra parts that have been, or will be sold to offset my costs. I should wind up with a vehicle that is almost free or possibly even make a small cash profit in the end. Minus the value of my time and labor of course but that will be offset by the satisfaction of completing the project and the enjoyment of driving the car in the end... Right at this moment I have just under $375 net cash into the car...

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Introduced the Z to it's new power plant today. Still a ways from dropping it in but it's getting closer, even if only in proximity...

'71 model 307 Chevy small block. (3.875" bore x 3.25" stroke, 10.2:1 C.R.)
    Stock flat top pistons with 4 valve reliefs
    HO 305 heads with 58cc chambers, 1.84" intakes, and 1.5" exhaust valves.
    Old Crane "Fireball" cam
    Edelbrock Torker II intake
    Holley #1850 4bbl carb (600 cfm, under construction)

I have to swap the flywheel to the manual and I want to change out the balancer, valve covers, and plug wires.

[​IMG]