The beginning of the end for Pro Stock...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Most TV coverage of any event, seldom show any door cars. All Funny Car and Dragsters. I prefer to watch any of the Duck's events, either on live feed or prerecorded. NMRA and NMCA are much more interesting.

Mike N likes this.
  2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    We used to go to national events. If we were just making a day of it,(the tracks that were close) we'd go on the early days to see the door cars, not the "show". Seemed more real to me.

3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Because at this point no amount of money in the world will allow anyone to catch up. Short of buying a GM engine and putting a Mopar or Ford casting number on it there is no way to catch up any time in the next 30 years. The GM engine design has had taken 35 years and probably tens of millions of dollars to evolve. Right now there is zero chance of anyone catching up,expecially since there is no factory support. Next year NHRA will basically be an all Camaro shootout. This year it has been a 1 Mopar show with AJ being the only competitive car and running factory backing which he just lost. Alan Prusinski barely qualifies if there are 17 cars in the field. Elite has all the resources a team could ever have and couldn't make the Mopar engine fall out of a tree. Ford packed up and went home long ago. So it will be an all Camaro shootout or the class will die.

4. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    My other point was that back in the 70's with the weight break system NHRA could get 100+ Pro Stock racers to show up at a national event. The logic was that while racers had to work hard they wouldn't put too much time and money into one combination because if they dominated that combo would be slapped with weight. Well funded racers who want to win will just have to switch to different combinations from time to time. The cream always rises to the top anyway.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Obviously someone leaked a copy of the P/S association against NHRA lawsuit!!!!!!
    So they back pedaled as fast as they could!!!!

COUGH pst COUGH

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Wussys backed out, no back bones...

8. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I don't think that there will be a new engine design. I think they will just let racers mix and match between engine and body brands. So prepare to see a Toyota with a 500 inch Chevy under the hood and Toyota on the valve covers. GM will lose interest in footing the bill for their efforts and the entire deal will go to the aftermarket. Real generic rules like a limit on bore spacing,2 valves per cylinder and pushrods and anything else goes.

9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ