The beginning of the end for Pro Stock...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can say that again!!!
    We did everything we could to get the hell out of the house, shoveled snow, & flipped pizza's so we could get a car.

These kids sit on their ass for hours at a time, playing make believe, and if you give many of them a car, they don't care. :(
    My buddy gave his kid a car, all he had to do was help his dad tune it up, fix some brake issues, and something else I forget.
    It sat for 4-5 years, and the kid didn't care.

In my day, not only would the kid work on that car every day until it was up & running, he would be pestering the hell out of dad to hurry up & help!!!

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    NHRA want out of pro stock,if they didn't they would be looking to bring more cars in,not cut it to 8 cars. IMO they dropped the ball back in 1982 with the 500 inch rule. Their opinion was that the weight breaks were keeping the class from developing into a professional class because racers weren't willing to invest in a top level combination when they could be wiped away with the stroke of a pen. Rapidly they found out that only one of the big three was interested in throwing money at the class. It took a while but it is now pretty much an all GM show. Back in 1980 they could have probably filled a 128 car field at Indy or Pomona,today they can hardly get 18 to show up at Indy. I guess NHRA didn't like the idea that a 128 car field would mean that 100 of the cars would probably show up on open trailers behind pickup trucks. IMO NHRA wants the class to die but they don't want to kill it and end up with a pro stock truck type lawsuit deal. They are smart to put their money into the factory supercar classes,maybe creating an outlaw version of the class which would be more like what pro stock was in 1970 and 71. There is A LOT more manufacturer money and interest in the factory supercar classes.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  3. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I am the exact opposite. I liked Warren Johnson's comment about fuel cars being horizontal oil derricks. To me if the race is decided by who can get closest to the finish line before grenading the engine or smoking the tires it isn't about racing. I am more about the science or power. The funny thing is that I am into all the outlaw 10.5 type classes and get a kick out of how most of the fastest cars have mismatched body panels because they usually can't make it thru a full day of racing without hitting the wall at least once or twice.

4. Rich Schmidt

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    IMO if it is mostly a matter of manufacturer interest and investment to make the field diverse they could probably start by giving Mopar and Ford a 200# weight break for the next few seasons. Over the last 35 years GM racers have poured tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars into perfecting the DRCE engine design. There is zip zero way for any manufacturer even with a blank sheet engine design to catch up. Even the lower funded GM teams can't keep up. When you need to spend 100 grand or more as a customer at CFE before they will give you their actual best cylinder heads you know there is something wrong. Another big red flag was when Elite went to Mopar and went an entire season winning almost no rounds. They aren't a one car team,they have seemingly unlimited resources and skill and produced the previous season's championship car yet abandoned the Mopar program after one season because they knew it was a dud. If they can't win dominate with Mopar I doubt anyone ever could. No different then when Geffrion and Alderman started winning and then got caught with nitrous. It was a no brainer that the Mopar design should have had no chance at all of beating the GM. If they were winning they were cheating. Glidden could find horsepower by watching the wind blow and even he threw in the towel after a while. At this point it would take a total revamp to save the class. The kind of revamp that would render all the current cars obsolete. Maybe try something like making a heads up class out of SS/M cars or GT/SS cars. Let add some power and take out some weight. Who knows.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I'm with you, Rich. I did the fast street car thing for a whole bunch of years and I dig that type of racing more than any fuel class.

Remember when WJ' commented on Cristen Powell winning a TF race?? Something to the effect of "anytime you can put a high school kid in one of those point and shoot cars and they win a race, there's no talent involved."

6. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    At the same time, why give a break to those that didn't do (or were to lazy to do) their homework? Didn't NASCAR let Ford have a few more inches of spoiler back in the 90's to even out the aerodynamics between them and GM?? I don't believe in marking things on a curve..... when it comes to race day, run what you brung and hope you brung enough.

Smokey15 likes this.
  7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is why I like Top Sportsman !!

a couple years ago John Mihovetz absolutely pissed off Comp Eliminator competitors and won the Comp Eliminator class at this race . Johns car is a Mustang powered by a little 282 twin turbo stock block and crank,4.6L

He went 5.92 in a Comp Eliminator set up , the fastest ever recorded pass for this division

Watch John Mihovetz make easy work of his opponent . That Mustang really started moving at or near the 200' mark

Smokey15 likes this.
  8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Alcohol F/C has always been called the hardest car to drive.
    P/S is usually next.
    I've never heard anyone say a fuel car is that difficult, as long as you have big big balls.

It takes big skill to be a successful bracket racer.
    Definitely no stab & go when you have to hit the tree tight, and the package has to be tighter than a frogs butt!!!!!!!

9. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

John Mihovetz reset the Mod Motor ET/MPH Record 5.88/250mph

10. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

The Prostock cars are getting to look like earlier "funny cars" and the are pretty much all Camaros now. And the coverage is terrible When its supposed to be "live" they are actually tape delayed .So they can pack in more commercials.So I have quit watching And watch some form of road racing