The beginning of the end for Pro Stock...

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Buickfunnycar, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    This.....

Personally I couldn't give a $h!t about the fuel classes..... I would much rather watch the .90 classes, Stock and Super Stock. Seeing a smallblock with a Quadrajet run 9 second et's is far more interesting to me than any fuel class will ever be.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And we have faster cars!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not mine anymore :(, it used to be, but many are faster, some are much much faster, my buddy ran 6.08 with his SBC!!!!!!!
    Not bad for a bracket racer!!!!

muscl car likes this.
  3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Smokey15 and Dave Nelson like this.
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I read an article called "Watch what you wish for". That's exactly what it was about. He blamed alot of it on sponsor's "Win at any cost" attitude demanding results, not putting fans in the stands, or putting on an unforgettable show. He said he swears they put superglue on the bleachers. Upward movement is a waste of time instead of forward movement, I get it. My truck is not fast by anyone's standards. But when I finish my burnout and am pre-staging, I glance into the stands and see people standing, hitting the guy next to them on the shoulder and pointing. It's only because the truck yanks the wheels. They're pretty much starved for entertainment. So the sponsors got what they wished for (wins), and the fans lost out.

muscl car and 70lt1z28 like this.
  5. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    The NHRA Factory Stock class is the real deal and far more like Pro stock of the golden years. Steel bodies, factory engines and cars that look like the cars straight off the showroom floor.

[​IMG]

Dave Nelson likes this.
  6. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's not running nitro and belching flames, I'm not interested.
    Gasoline is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking and nitro is real racing. ;)

muscl car likes this.
  7. mrdragster1970

BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I cant watch index racing, I get up and leave every time they start up. Seeing cars that can easily run 7.50's leave on a throttle stop to about quarter track to run an 8.90 is just boring. I know its an art but I quess racing to me means bringing everything you have to the line and standing on the gas all the way down the track.

Smokey15, Dave Nelson and xten like this.
  9. mrdragster1970

Most of us that ran super class probably would agree, but how many of us can afford to run heads up???
    Running S/G was my only chance to run at a NHRA event.
    Stuck a mild 557" in and went racing.

Hell look at what those guys spend on comp, SS & S, not even counting a Pro class :(

I agree, it is definitely nuts to watch a monster sit on the stop for a couple of seconds just to run 9.90.
    I had a guy that bought Warren Johnsons last season Pro-Stock pit next to me.
    Big ass stacker & RV with probably $200,000 car to race for $800 or $1000 back then, INSANE!!!!

I'm in a primered old Camaro, 10" tires against a best of every thing Pro-Stock.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Quit going to drags when the fastest car went too fast and lost. But younger guys these days aren't into cars, and girls are more interested in guys with tatoos and dangling jewelry. Different world.