TH350 Refresh Question

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by camaro73lt, Feb 19, 2018.

1. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Hanover, PA
    Finally getting back to the next phase of my 2nd Gen restoration. Keeping her all stock and would like advice regarding my TH350 trans.

Trans is original, 133k miles, no issues whatsoever but leaks fluid at the front badly and small amounts from the gear shift and maybe the tail shaft. I have a trans shop I can trust but want to be specific and understand what should be done to refresh / overhaul the trans correctly at this point. New seals obviously, but what about the Torque Converter, other key components that I should replace?

Thanks in advance for the advice and help. The trans shifts smooth as butter and I don't want it messed with or to spend more than I have to, but I have to get the fluid leaks fixed. Making a mess of the chassis!

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Torque converter should be fine unless you want something with a little more push like a 26-2800 stall. Just have your trans shop do a general rebuild. New clutches, steels,seals.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    If it's a reputable transmission shop, I doubt they will warranty the work with a used torque converter. There's a lot of old clutch and disc material floating around in that converter. Also make sure you flush the transmission cooler, that's built into your radiator also.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Just have a local trans shop rebuild it, And have them put a"shift Kit" You get firmer shifts And the trans last longer' When I got my 1981 Z-28 RS Mine had one put in it. It was able to brake the tires loose from 1st to 2nd When I hit the throttle .And the engine was stock,.And a warranty.Plus it saves the cost of shipping

Attached Files:

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    If they have the fancy flush machine why not have them flush it first? Ask the mechanic his opinion of the condition. You may get away with just the front pump and Extension housing and the shifter seal replaced. Plus new filter and Fluid. On the other hand if your pulling it out anyway might as well build it for a little performance.