TH 350 Accumulator removal??

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by 70-camaro, Dec 4, 2017.

1. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Yeah looks like it will be quite a project. Did you have the hedder on the car when you did it?

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    Good luck on your project, keep us posted. I'm sure many people will benefit from your experience.

Good info here. Getting things apart is the "easy" part. Trying to get in there while keeping the reaction springs centered, get the cap in, compress the cap and get the snap ring seated all around...without compromising the seal will be a real trip. Dust off your vocabulary of expletives.

I did my governor yesterday, it was tight getting things out...it was a real PITA getting the cover to seat properly on reassemble. Today the modulator.. which ain't so bad.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    It will take some custom tools and words to get this job done I am sure. Looks like I will have to remove the short piece of pipe between the header and x pipe at the least. Probably be taking the header loose to.

4. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Oh yeah! All I did was jack the car up and smash my hand in there between the tunnel and the trans. Talk about frustrating. Hardest part was getting the snap ring back in. Did it by feel, couldn't see what I was doing. But man, at least it never leaked again.

5. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Governor is CAKE. I had mine out 5 times because I was changing weights and springs to get my automatic shift points where I wanted them.

6. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Ok got it out easily. Took about 2 hours. First I unhooked the battery and removed distributor cap. I took the short exhaust pipes out between the headers and x pipe. Put a floor jack and piece of 2x10 under the trans pan and took the cross member loose raised trans a little and slid the cross member back, lowered the trans till I could easily access the accumulator cover. I put a jack stand under the trans mount. I didn’t have any problem getting to it then. Bought an o ring and it is ready to put back together. BUT I took the piston out to check the rings on it and now I can’t get it back in. It has rings not o rings. Also thought I would install a stiffer spring, I think the stock one is red. It has a green one now. Anyone out there that can help with the piston problem and advise on spring I would appreciate the help.

7. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You have to compress the rings and wiggle the piston in, while compressing the rings - one by one. The stiffer the spring behind it, the more difficult it will be, cause the spring will be pushing on the piston, while you're still busy with the cover. Be careful not to nick a ring during that process.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    2A3B35C1-9360-49AF-8C3B-0F9CD04B06D9.jpeg 1B7225DA-3265-46A4-A496-B8AA7EE933A7.jpeg I don’t see any way to compress these rings.

9. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    Use a large worm gear hose clamp. situate it a the outer edge (toward you) of the ring and try to just get it started. This NOT based on experience.

10. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Maybe a zip tie would work for the outer one but there is absolutely no way to get to the one on the inside. Both rings go into their cylinders at the same time. I will try this tomorrow. I can’t seem to find anything on youtube about installing this piston. Maybe a transmission expert will chime in or I can start another thread.