Tesla will reveal semi-truck 'beast' next month

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Bandit723, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'd be more impressed with Ian Wright (one of the Tesla founders) hadn't been building trucks for the last 5 years
    https://www.wrightspeed.com/

3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Goes to show you there is always something to learn....

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

WOW, if Wright's stuff works that well, our future is not so bleak!!!
    I would love to see less diesel being used, pumping all that crap into the air.
    With millions of trucks out there, every thing they can do to reduce fuel use & pollution is a huge win for our planet!!!!

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    Given the way Musk runs a business, I'd be surprised if Tesla is around another 10 yrs.
    My step son worked for Solar City, said he seen McDonalds managed better. High turnover rate in employees as well.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    ^ I'm with Shizzle on that point.

If it weren't for billions of government money, Tesla would already be out of business.

SoCal71RS likes this.
  7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    You do realize that diesel engines burn way cleaner than gasoline engines. They produce less CO2, hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and other emissions. The entire DPF systems the EPA mandated was nothing but a revenue generator for the gov't. It's also THE best thing to ever happen to the heavy haul towing industry. Upkeep and repair of these useless devices is one of the main reasons freight costs never came back down when the price of fuel did.

8. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's actually not what I always read???
    To be honest, I don't give a damn what burns cleaner.
    If they can burn less of anything it's great news!!!!
    I'm a huge fan of all the propane & natural gas trucks they have now.
    My wife's last car was one of those electric hybrids well worth the added cost if it helped even a little.
    I'm a huge fan of using as much ethanol as possible.

I'll be long gone, but this world needs to use more renewable energy & lower emissions fuels ASAP.
    Long range electric vehicles powered by nuke plants, solar, wind etc would be awesome.
    Just don't force us to give up our way of life by mandating everyone must drive a 50 mile range electric car.

Pounds of CO2 emitted per million British thermal units (Btu) of energy for various fuels:

Coal (anthracite) 228.6
    Coal (bituminous) 205.7
    Coal (lignite) 215.4
    Coal (subbituminous) 214.3
    Diesel fuel and heating oil 161.3
    Gasoline (without ethanol) 157.2
    Propane 139.0
    Natural gas 117.0

9. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    Except ethanol is more polluting that gasoline.
    And the manufacture of those electric batteries isn't exactly Eco-friendly. There was a story a while back on how a Prius had made as much pollution as an H2 would in 10 years EVEN before the Prius hit the road.
    From mining the nickel in a Canadian mine (and the surrounding enviromental pollution from mining it), shipping the nickel to Europe to be refined, then to Japan for the battery to be manufactured, then shipped here.

Now they are mining cobalt for the batteries using child labor in Africa, then the global shipping of that.

Solar panels don't last forever and the inerds are extremely toxic and they haven't found a way of recycling them yet.

Wind farms have their own issues.
    And Nukes, their pollution is probably the worst!

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    A friend and I have been trading emails about this. There seems to be a niche market for these around the ports, in Cali, at least. The LA Port Authority(among other port authorities) wants to reduce the emissions of the transport around its ports( http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...ht-industry-2050-starting-la-ports-180959337/ , http://www.ttnews.com/articles/california-funds-greater-use-electric-powered-heavy-duty-trucks although there are many other articles on the internet about this). I think they just have to have a range of slightly over 200 miles to be able to make a run from the port to the warehouses and back, IIRC. Seems like it should work for that. They've been have maintenance issues with the natural gas trucks they tried a few years ago. Cross country Class 8 electric vehicles are a bigger challenge, however.

Conventional wisdom is diesel engines have lower CO2, CO, and gaseous HC emissions, but higher NOx and particulate emissions, than gasoline engines.