Tesla Manufacturing Problems

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, Oct 3, 2017.

1. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would drive the Rimac Concept One. It makes around 1400HP and 2600TQ. It has a megawatt of power on tap and a motor for each wheel. Torque vectoring and other goodies.
    http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Tesla is still struggling to produce the Model 3 in any significant numbers...

[​IMG]

At a time when Elon Musk had said that Tesla would be producing 5,000 Model 3's per week - they sold a total of 145 3's in October.

Meanwhile, Chevrolet just sold more Chevy Bolts in October than Tesla sold Model S, X and 3's combined. The Bolt was the #1 plug in vehicle in the country.

Tesla may have a loooonnnnnggggggg waiting list of people that paid $1,000 already, but they can't deliver as promised.

Chevy just builds these cars without fleecing the customers out of a $1,000 deposit and people can go see, test and then decide to part with their money.

As of the end of July, Tesla has had over 63,000 deposit cancellations. As per the norm with Tesla, the process of getting a refund has not been per their stated parameters:

How's that working out?

More info here: https://www.wired.com/story/canceling-your-model-3-deposit-dont-count-on-a-timely-refund/

In my opinion, this will create severe backlash for Tesla as a company. These people WANTED to buy an electric car. Based on Chevy Bolt actual sales - I think they are. Just not willing to wait for Musk's pipe dream.

4. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    Just my opinion, but I think Tesla has to become less of a personality-driven company to move to the next level. Musk has to take a step back, and let production experts sort his production problems out. That's happened at other companies in the past, like post-WW2 Ford, and even Microsoft. Henry Ford II, and Bill Gates, knew enough to step back and focus on high level strategies, and let professional managers handle the day-to-day logistics.

And yes, I had heard GM's Bolt outsold all other electrics combined last month. Nice if true :)

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    The Bolt didn't outsell ALL other electrics.

If you look at the chart - it shows that Chevy sold 2,781 Bolts. Total electric vehicles sales were 14,581. So Bolt sales were about 20% of the total.

My comments about Tesla vs the Bolt is accurate - Model S sales were 1,120, Model X sales were 850 and the Model 3 sales were 145 - total of 2,115 Tesla's in October. This at the point in time where Musk said they'd be building 5,000 Model 3's per week...:rolleyes:

How can you tell when Elon Musk is lying? If his lips are moving, he's probably lying...;)

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'll note here that the Bolt is being sold to government fleets at substantial (non-profitable?) discounts which Tesla doesn't do.

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Could you expand on that statement? Like how many Bolts have been purchased by the government and at what prices?

I am fully aware that our former president mandated, through an executive order, the purchase of electric vehicles:

It wouldn't surprise me if our current president were to reverse this order requiring 20% of all new vehicle purchases be zero emission or plug in vehicles by 2020. The 50% level by 2025 is just insane.

[​IMG]

This info is from 2015. If you total it up - it's about 640,000 vehicles - for the federal government alone. Assuming that they replace vehicles about every 5 years, that's 123,000 per year. 20% of them would be nearly 25,000 and by 2025 the federal government would be purchasing over 60,000 per year.

I don't know that Tesla hasn't sold any EV's to the government, but it would make perfect sense if they haven't. I would be upset if the government was purchasing Model S's or Model X's with my tax dollars and Tesla can't sell any Model 3's to the government until they actually produce enough cars to fill the preorders they have taken.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

When i was in California last summer i feel like i saw a lot of them with state government plates. just an anecdotal observation

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    You claimed that they were sold at "substantial (non-profitable?) discounts" - was that an anecdotal observation also?

Just wondering...;)

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't claim anything. I just saw a bunch in California. RIF

Knuckle Dragger likes this.