Tesla Manufacturing Problems

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, Oct 3, 2017.

1. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Musk just announced that he has the rights to Drill/Bore a Tunnel in Seattle to build a Super Train

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Don't forget the one in Maryland

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
  4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    You get slush money from Fossil Fuel, Inc. Champ? You are trying REALLY hard.:)

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
  6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    No, I get no slush money from fossil fuel.

I get it that you like electric vehicles. I don't have a problem with them for the folks that they work for. They don't work for me - at this time.

I did actually see a real live Tesla for the first time ever on Tuesday morning as I was on the interstate driving 125 miles headed towards my first sales call of the morning. I'm fairly cognizant of cars and Tesla has been selling cars for 9 years - yet that was the first Tesla I've seen in person - that's how out of step Tesla is in "flyover" country.

Musk has created excitement for a product - I'll grant you that. I even agree that the all electric car may be the right thing for the future. But I just have my doubts about the viability of a company that only came into existence because of huge government dollars that were given to Musk by previous administrations yet Tesla is nowhere near showing a profit and can't seem to produce them in a quantity that could lead to profitability.

He's made braggadocios claims of building his Model 3 in volume (5,000 per week by the end of 2017 and double that in 2018) - yet has only been able to make a few cars per day in his plant that has produced well over a 1,000 per day in the past.

After Musk announced in early July that the first 30 customers would receive their Model 3's on July 28, Musk claimed “production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1,500.”

So Musk predicted that third quarter production numbers for the Model 3 would be around 1,630 vehicles, which means he was only off by 84%. Instead of the 5,000 Musk claimed he could build per week, will he be able to hit 100 per week in December?

To me, he's like a carnival barker.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Wait... you're miffed about a business loan that they've since paid in full, but forget that GM wouldn't even exist today if not for a giant government bailout and bankruptcy?? (which, BTW, I think was the right thing to do)

Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Yes, Musk paid off the $465 million in U.S. Energy Department loan ahead of schedule. But you seem to be forgetting about the $4.9 BILLION dollars of grants and subsidies that Musk has benefited from.

You're looking at the pennies - I'm looking at the dollars.

Yes, GM benefited from a government bailout and had many loans. GM had been a tax paying company for nearly 100 years before they got that bailout. GM has repaid billions of dollars to the federal government. GM is making profits again

Tesla has been bleeding cash since it's inception:

[​IMG]

Tesla won't be making any money in 2017.

How do they make plan to make money on a car that sells for half the price of their other models?

It looked like they might have a chance at becoming profitable after 2013, but instead they've just dramatically increased their losses. When government subsidies run out, what happens?

9. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    I found this interesting. I don't think Musk currently has the factory capacity to make 500K per year, he needs to expand some more.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...over-even-more-of-a-long-shot-as-model-3-lags

"For some perspective on just how much of a long shot Musk’s plan is to make half a million vehicles a year at Fremont, consider that the the only plant in all of North America that made that many autos last year was Nissan Motor Co.’s massive factory in Smyrna, Tennessee. The facility cranks out half a dozen models including Altima sedans and Rogue crossovers."

[​IMG]

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN