Tesla Manufacturing Problems

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Champ, Oct 3, 2017.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I'm sure most of you are aware the Elon Musk's Tesla delivered the first Model 3 back in July.

The company has had 500,000+ preorders for the Model 3 (although 63,000 have now canceled).

Back in August - Tesla made the following statement about Model 3 production:

Well, third QUARTER production numbers are in - and 260 Model 3 have been produced in three months. Counting all Tesla models they only produced 25,336 in the quarter.

There is no way Tesla will be buillding 20,000 model 3's per month by December unless he stops production of all other models. Musk needs to build a thousand in a month before he starts talking about building 20k in a month.

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Doesn't matter..... the sheep will still follow!

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  3. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

They are ALL over NorCal as you might imagine and that appetite probably can never be satisfied...they will follow Elon all the way to the moon !

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I suspect it's a bump in the road, and if he fails there are plenty behind him. i now firmly believe the ICE days are numbered. maybe even in my lifetime. GM plans to introduce 20 electric models on the next 6 tests and China had home companies that are advancing rapidly. Hold on tight, the automotive world is going to change a lot.

Buickfunnycar likes this.
  5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Yup and GM /China will lead the way....

6. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
  7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    A mere blip I think. EVERYBODY knows that Musk is incredibly optimistic in his projections. I suspect that's why even though those numbers are below what most thought (500-700 was being thrown around), the stock didn't move much today.
    Remember, he's got battery manufacturing capacity that no one else has right now. He's also got an organization that is WAY more nimble than the old guard at GM and Ford. It'll be exciting to watch it unfold. Projections for the electric car rollout keep increasing.

I'm even excited to see what GM will unveil- they could start with a "halo" car of sorts in a fully-electrified version of the CT6 with Super Cruise (and broker an agreement to use Tesla's Supercharger Network).

(No I don't currently have a Model 3 reservation...:) )

8. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    NUMMI (the factory name before Tesla took over) used to produce a car every minute. Tesla has a facility that is more than capable of producing what Elon anticipates and then some. What he lacks is the skilled work force and over 100 years of manufacturing experience that Toyota and GM combined had together when they ran the factory.

MichJim72 likes this.
  9. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I don't know...I think we are a long way from electric taking over the market...when they can get 1000 plus miles to charge... different story..

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    While I agree that we will be seeing more and more electric vehicles in the future, I don't believe that Musk/Tesla will be the one's to be building most of them.

Last quarter Tesla only built a touch over 25,000 cars - their best quarter ever.

And only 1% were the Model 3 - the "low" priced "people's" car. Over 10% of the "sheeple" that put deposits down on a Model 3 have already canceled their orders. As more people realize that it will probably be sometime in 2020 before they get a Model 3 - more people will cancel.

GM, Ford, Toyota will be selling more competitive electric vehicles in serious numbers long before Tesla will be able to produce the Model 3 in sufficient quantity to make a dent in the list.

Tesla stock is down over 10% since in the last 2 weeks while at the same time GM stock is at a record high - up over 10% in the same time frame.

Chevrolet sold 579 Chevy Bolts last December. Last month they sold 2,107. They've sold over 12,000 overall. This is without any presales from a manufacturer that is currently producing some of the most dependable cars available for sale in this country.

Tesla's dependability has so far proved to be highly suspect. As they ramp up production numbers, dependability most likely will get worse, not better.