Temp Sending Unit

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Bob R, Apr 20, 2002.

1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    Just a general note, the OEMs used to say statistically the number one source of electrical gremlins is connector problems. Grounds more than power connections.

2. jacsey 70Z

jacsey 70Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 22, 2000
    Davison, Mich, U.S.A.
    I got a question, Which terminal does your sending unit have, which is correct and for what years? Threaded or the pin type?
    I think the threaded for the 70.
    Jack

3. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    My 72 is threaded

4. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Oct 16, 1999
    allentown pa
    Well, I got the NAPA part# TS 6469, and it was up in the 250 red- zone after about 2 minutes of running the car.. I had the cap off and the thermostadt had not opened yet..any ideas now..also I put a new water pump on and want to see if all is well.....

5. jeduffey

jeduffey Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Garwood, NJ, USA
    All this is great info, but, uhmm,

WHERE is the Temperature Sending Unit located -arrgg!, sorry.

I switched to guages and the idiot light sending unit has to go. But I don't know where to find it, to replace it. I checked, my Haynes Useless book of no info, and found no info. Thanks for the help.

6. Frugal1

Frugal1 Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    On a V8 it is found in the side of the drivers side cylinder head , just behind the front spark plug.

7. CoryM

CoryM Veteran Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    on newer heads its located on the drivers side head in between the #1 and #3 cylinders. On older engines its located on the front of intake.
    CoryM

------------------
    1980 Camaro real healthy 377ci,SuperT10,3.42 open rear (next on the to do list). daily driver but I'm throwing $$$,parts and time at it as fast as I can.
    70 C10 350ci,np354,4:10 posi www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070
    Vancouver BC Canada.
    "Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high."
    Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army

8. jacsey 70Z

Nov 22, 2000
    Davison, Mich, U.S.A.
    OK I know this topic has gone on forever but please hear me out.
    My sending unit also does some wierd things so with all the talk I decided to change it, one problem I can't find one anyplace. The numbers given in the earlier post were a the pin or nail head type, I need the threaded end type. Anyone know where I can find one of these?? I never figured it would be this hard.
    Bob, by the way Ground Up no longer carrys the GAC-460 anymore he sold all the 300 he had and only has one more he has saved for his car.
    Any help would be appriciated!!!
    Jack

[This message has been edited by jacsey 70Z (edited November 29, 2002).]

9. Bob R

Bob R R.I.P 11/20/16 Staff Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Jack,

Sorry to hear that you cannot find the correct sender unit. I know they are out there, somewhere. Wait a while, one will cross your path. Did you try NAPA? OR give James a call at Moementum.

Just a side note and I know it is not correct but I believe there is an adapter to be able to use the nail head sender unit to the press type like you have. Just a thought and once again I know it is not correct but at least your temp gauge will work.

Bob

------------------
    1973 Z28 Original Owner 6 Year Frame Off Restoration
    1971 RS Z28 Frame Off Restoration in Progress
    http://www.geocities.com/bobr73z28

10. jacsey 70Z

Nov 22, 2000
    Davison, Mich, U.S.A.
    Thanks Bob, Still no luck James only shows the nail head type same with Napa. I guess GM discountinued them over a year ago, you would think there would still be some around. Hec I don't even know the GM part number for the Threaded end type. will keep looking got all winter. Maybe I'll try the Swap Sec.
    Thanks Again,
    Jack