Temp sender locations Edelbrock Air Gap

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 8pack, Dec 9, 2017.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    On my intake there are 2 ports at the front of the intake, one on each side of the thermostat. I have a temp sender inThe drivers side port and ineed to add another temp sender.

Is the other port on the passenger a good place to pick up the temp from and are the Shari g the same space/fluid? It is next to the heater core line.

Thanks!

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

why not in the cyl heads?

3. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the factory temp gauge (which reads 40* too low) an aftermarket one which is accurate and the Holley Sniper requires one for it's computer management so I am looking for a convenient third location. Getting it in the head on the passenger side is a PITA with the AC suitcase and headers. I don't like putting one in the thermostat housing as it just looks ugly.

4. BonzoHansen

t stat is probably a bad place for a gauge sender anyway. If you have an aftermarket gauge, why even have a stock gauge & sender?

Sure the r/h head is difficult, but how many times do you have to do it?

5. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So I assume by your answer that the second port on the passenger front of the intake is not viable for some reason? I know the drivers side is dead accurate because I checked it with a laser temp tester.

I also looked again and the temp sensor body for the sniper is longer than a stock one so it is very close to the header and may not work.

I like having the redundancy on the temp gauges. I have had one go bad before which resulted in an unhappy outcome.

6. BonzoHansen

You said "I don't like putting one in the thermostat housing", i was agreeing with you for a sender. :) If its the sniper CTS you might want to call holley and get their $.02.

These two ports? I think those will work, but curious what other say.
    [​IMG]

EDL-2601.jpg

Is the header flange is in the way? seems like a lot of room. These are 1 3/4" primaries. This is the OE sender, my current sender is longer and still no problem, although I did put some heat protection around the wire.

2011-12-11163141.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  7. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can’t see the 2nd picture, getting that stupid photobucket error image.

That manifold is not an air gap. That is an 8701 and I believe mine is a 2601. To the right of the thermostat in your picture their is round area with an indentation. On my airgap, there is a hole and it is plugged with has a pipe fitting plug. Tomorrow I can take a picture, but I am trying to figure out if that shares the same coolant in both locations meaning the passage is open all the way across or does the coolant flow differently on each side of the thermostat.

In the pic of the product on summit you can see both holes...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2601

Thanks for working with me here.

8. BonzoHansen

9. 8pack

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don’t have nearly that much room. I can’t even get a socket in there I have to use an open end wrench at an angle to put it in. The temp sender for the Holley has a 2 wire connecter and extends another 3/4”+.
    https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/gm-coolant-temperature-sensor/

There is more room on the passenger but you have to be a contortionist to get the plug out and thermostat along with removing the valve cover which is just a PITA. I am just not flexible enough anymore to get at it....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  10. BonzoHansen

That stinks. that sender looks exactly like the one I use now for my speedhut gauges. my engine is out so no pics