Temp paint booth fan

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Happy_Dan, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    I put this temporary paint booth up in my garage. It is really to get things primed right now but if it works out well enough, I may paint the car in it later on. My friend is an excellent painter but they won't let him use the booth at the shop he works in.

As you can see, I have a row of filters along the back wall. The front will vent out the garage door and I was thinking of putting a box fan there to help blow everything outside. I have been searching around for a good fan that isn't too expensive but thought I would ask here if anyone has any suggestions, or suggestions on what else to do to make the booth better.
    Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was thinking about a blower, the type with a wheel like the fan in your home air conditioner. The only worry I had was the electric motor igniting the fumes if they get to a high enough concentration and the garage going boom. If there was a belt driven blower fan so the fumes do not have go past the electric motor, that would be ideal.

I was going to use one of those big metal fans from Home Depot. They are a little pricey but move a ton of air and that is what you need in a booth so the dust does not settle back on the wet car. Maybe you can rent one?

BTW, your booth looks great. I just used a giant tarp from Harbor Freight and attached it to the ceiling. It let in no light. Your idea is far superior.

3. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    It went together really easy. I found a site that sold "furniture grade" pvc for the connectors so I could get all different types. Getting the plastic on and taped down took the most time and another set of hands.

I am thinking a good box fan will keep the booth from "fogging" up with the paint and keep the danger of fire down. I will make sure the heater is off too. I just have to find a good box fan. Should finally have the car media blasted in the next week or two (weather permitting) so I can get it back and primed. Then the real fun begins.

I checked Ebay, Amazon and a few other places for fans. Seems like mostly 20" box fans. I was thinking something bigger. I'll check Lowes and Home Depot this weekend.

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That looks great! I may try something similar when it comes time to paint my MG as I want to do all the work on that one myself.

5. Mike Bozung

Mike Bozung Veteran Member

Jul 7, 2011
    muncy,pa
    Happy Dan, I did what your doing, with no problems. I just used a Lowes 20" box fan ( I think it cost $20) I used it to exhaust the air. I did have filters like you have, except I had more of them. You don't want to "starve" the fan / air flow. You want the fan's CFM's ability to be at it's highest. If you do this you won't have to worry about a fire, because the air will exchange more than enough. It wasn't so bad with painting the car as far as a "fog" in the booth, it was when I did the clear coat (s). I had to have the fan on the highest setting and keep it there until your done with the clear. Another thing I did was ground the plastic sheeting so it didn't build up static and hold dust. You will notice the plastic will keep the "dirt" down to a minimun. Your still going to have to wet sand it though. Also make sure you have plenty of lighting in there. It's really hard to paint when you can't see.
    Good luck.

6. 72zlarry

72zlarry Veteran Member

Dec 20, 2006
    montgomery, al.
    Make sure to have your fan running prior to any overspray.

7. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for. I can always put another row of filters in. It was easy enough to build in.

8. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    box fan is plenty, one of the big round ones is too much,,,,,,,,

9. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Niceville, Florida
    In my experience box fans don't work that well. Any resistance to flow (such as filters) pretty much stops the air. MUCH better is a "carpet dryer" fan, which is more of a "blower" than a fan. I got a pretty big one for my temporary paint booth (used it as a pusher, through filters, rather than puller, to avoid the fire hazard). It is one of the best things I ever purchased. It also works very well just for moving air for comfort during hot weather. Unlike a conventional fan, you can feel the wind all the way across the garage.

Similar to this:
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/janitorial-maintenance/floor-care/floor-dryers/floor-dryer-blower

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  10. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.