Teamchevy's New Garage/Shop

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Teamchevy, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Teamchevy

Teamchevy Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Update for Nov 14

Well, I have been doing a few other things since the last update. I finally wired up the compressor and tested it out, so that's off the list. I still need to hook up the filter & regualtor, but I have to get some more fittings and hose. I may run some pipe so I can drain off the moisture as well. I raked and seeded three sides around the garage and back to the house. Then I had to re-wire the dryer in the house. When the panel was re-worked, we found that somone had installed the dryer using #12, not #10 as required, so I did that on Friday, bit of a pain in the butt, but it's done now. On Saturday I added some metal studs to frame and drywall the opening of the re-worked electrical panel in the house so I can put new doors on it. A neighbor gave me a metal cupboard he was going to toss, so I'll clean it up, paint it and store some tools in it. Last vacation dy today, back to work tomorrow.:whine: But at least I can go to the garage after work and start having some fun soon!!

Dave
    :bowtie:

Compressor tied in
    [​IMG]

Regulator & Filter
    [​IMG]

Olstyles Water Trap, something I may do next week
    [​IMG]

Seeded yard
    [​IMG]

"New" Cupboard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    I too just purchase a new compressor. I had a 5 hp roll around for the last 18 yrs. Still works fine, but cannot keep up with lots of bodywork. I just decided to get the new one and talked the wife into using half the cost as my Christmas present. I do like the water trap idea. i have multiple filters on mine and water still gets to the tool. After you install the trap, post some pics or specs. Looks like a good idea.
    BTW, will you use metal pipe or pvc. A lot of people down here use pvc. It doesn't conduct heat and cold as much and is cheaper. Some friends plumb there entire garage and shop with pvc.

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

DO NOT plumb compressed air with pvc! Use black iron pipe only!

PVC can send shards of shrapnel the speed of a bullet if it is hit and bursts. That makes for a very dangerous situation.

4. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Have to agree with Mark. Think I'll stick with pipe, not sure if I'll get to it this week or not.

Dave

5. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
  6. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thanks Russ!

Dave

7. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO

Make sure to put the regulator and drier as far away as possible from the air compressor. You want the air to cool down before it enters the drier. If it's to close it will not work very well.

8. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Thanks, I'll remember that!

Dave

9. Teamchevy

Aug 31, 2008
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Update for Nov 20

Well, it took a couple of trips back & forth to the hardware store, but I have my airline plumbed to the compressor. Had a couple of air leaks, but after a few turns with the pipe wrench, they're gone. Now...what's next...yeah, get the fittings installed on some air tools so I can try them out!! ;)

Dave

Some guy installing the pipe (she didn't tell me she had the camera ready!):
    [​IMG]

Compressor end:
    [​IMG]

The whole run, about 18 ft total:
    [​IMG]

The business end!:
    [​IMG]

10. 1981zapper

1981zapper Veteran Member