TBSS/NNBS intake clerance

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by WASyL, Jan 14, 2018.

1. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    I'm in a progres of restoration + mods on 1977 Firebird Esprite. When bought it already had LS1 engine installed. I would like to swap to 2007 Tahoe intake (TBSS style) and found different opinions on that. Some say that it will clear stock hood, others it won't. Did anybody tried to check that? I'm using LS1 alternator so brackets won't be an issue.
    I'm still working with chassis so i can't check it right now by my self, and want to have engine ready to install when body will be done.

best reagrds

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Why mess with it?

The LS6 intake is fine. I think it’s waste to put a truck intake on the LS1 plus being a 2007, it probably had square port heads which that intake won’t fit anyways. Stick with the car intake.

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    This is 100% on the money. If you have an LS1 intake, get an LS6. If you have cathedral heads, you have to run a cathedral intake. Truck intake will not make more power than an LS6 intake. Myself and others have tested. LS2 intake is not great either. A stock LS3 intake on square ports performs well also. Truck intakes are cheap and readily available because everyone swaps them out. If you're not using it on a 4.8/5.3/6.0 powered truck, don't bother.

4. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    thanks for the input. TBSS (trailblazer ss) intake is far better then LS1 and similar to LS6. Also have bigger TB openning. My engine is getting performance cam so i can use what this intake can give. I got TBSS one for free where in my country LS6 intake is rather rare and very expencive. Also i'm just asking for clearance not performance.

best regards

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. TheMeat

TheMeat Veteran Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Ol' Miss.
    Tbss is a nice intake. But you’ll need a cowl hood. I did all the measuring on my car as I was looking at the tbss or a fast lsxrt. I ended up with an Ls6 after using a truck intake for several years. Now I can use a flat hood which is what I prefer.

6. WASyL

WASyL LS1 Bandit

Nov 9, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    Can You recall how much space is there missing? Is it just cutting some support bracing or is it like 1-2 inches?

Best regards