Taurus fan installed and having an issue. Help!

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Tpichevy, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    I installed a new Taurus fan on my 70 Camaro 2 speed fan with two temperature switches, Big relays the whole nine yards. Everything works great started the car let it come up to temp low side kicks on cools car down and shuts back off. well I turned the car off while the fan was running....the fans slows to a stop and then try to start the car again and it just clicks after about one rotation of the engine. If the fan is calling for power is my battery not strong enough to turn the engine over while the fan is calling for power? I check the voltage on my battery and it was reading 10 and a half to 11 volts so it's not weak. My alternator is a 81 amps I think.... Could the small Amp output cause this issue?

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    81 amps, yeah but probably not at idle.

My Taurus literally lit a 40 amp relay on fire... so that gives an idea of how much current these things pull.

What does the volt gauge say when the fan is on at idle speed? If it's dropping to 12 or below it means the alternator isn't keeping up with demand.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Those Ford fans can draw 100 amps on start up, 25 or 30 at speed. Good fans but really suck up the juice. GM fans are way easier on the circuits.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

So the relays are live on start up? maybe change that circuit to only live on run but not start.

But yeah long run you're alternator is too small.

5. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    What can I do to not make relays live on start up.... What can I tap into vs key on power?

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    When you crank the engine over, isn't the case that the only things receiving power are the starter and the ignition coil anyway?

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Check the diagrams there must be something under the hood that is live in run but not start. maybe wipers?