Taking suggestions... I want to upgrade my front suspension...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jkhall, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

probably not with the newer version.

2. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

May 22, 2017
    I'm selling brand new front PTFB suspension in the for sale section right now. There's your tubular upper and lower controls for less than $1k right there but getting yourself a coilover would bump you past the $1k budget.

In regards to what you already have...

Global West's rebuild kit with the offset upper control arm shaft would probably be your best starting point at $499. This gets you the slightly improved geometry, greaseable delalum bushings and minimizes overall suspension deflection.
    http://www.globalwest.net/camaro-19...treet-rebuild-kit-global-west-suspension.html

From there, they offer a quality Viking shock at $359...
    http://www.globalwest.net/camaro-fi...hock-70-71-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-79-80-81.html

$159 for lowering springs from Global West...
    http://www.globalwest.net/camaro-fr...976-1977-1978-1979-1980-1981-global-west.html

Grand total retail price is $1,017.00 with the Global West bushings, Viking shocks and lowering springs. You could probably get it below $1,000 if you shop around. You can downgrade the shock setup and get well below that. Your best bet is rebuilding those stock control arms you currently have. If your shocks aren't blown out...clean them up, paint 'em and reinstall until you can afford a better option.

3. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

May 22, 2017
    An oddball/different route would be to go with the Global West control arm rebuild kit like I mentioned above but then use a Viking hybrid coilover and Customworks coilover reinforcement for the stock lower control arm. Many people are not into that sort of thing though. The claim is that a hybrid coilover side-loads the shock body and causes it to fail over time.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    That would certainly be a reasonable thing to try, however even if it worked, how much could you reuse when you invested in a LCA, that is really something I believe is worth investing in, then lowering springs and the best shock you can afford at the time , that should stay under 1K, then when you can ,upgrade the shock and sell old one here for half of what you paid.

5. Jon Randolph

Jon Randolph Member

May 22, 2017
    Hey Dave,

From what I've been conveyed by others is that most (not all) aftermarket tubular lower control arms don't change suspension geometry. There's not much gain in performance of having a tubular lower. You can upgrade the bushing on your stock lower control and be right on par with most aftermarket tubular lower control arms performance-wise.

There are a few exceptions. Global West Extended Travel, PTFB or Ridetech arms that are specifically built for coilover design are what I would consider to be an upgrade if you're jumping to a true coilover setup.

Most geometry "gains" on 2nd gen F-Body suspension occurs in the upper control arm.

I hope this helps but maybe someone else can verify or prove my info wrong on this subject. I'm a new guy on this forum haha

Jon

6. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Hi,
    Sorry I meant the Upper control arm, and yes I agree, rebuild the Lower, get the best Upper possible, and lowering springs and good shocks, that should give a noticeable difference , and should stay under 1K,

7. BonzoHansen

IIRC DSE, UMI, SPC and PTFB all move the LBJ forward

8. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Not sure Scott, what that means,unless you mean, there is a reason to think about purchasing the LCA, however, I thought I understood from some, that these UCA,or LCA, can move the tire off from center in the wheel well, is that correct? And what is actually happening ??

9. BonzoHansen

Sorry, I was really responding to the most UCAs don't change geometry comment.

When used with related uppers you get caster gain but the wheels stay better centered in the wheel well

10. dave@ztech

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    OK, great , I see some with the tire, looking, really off center, and would not like to spend the money to have it look funny,