Taking suggestions... I want to upgrade my front suspension...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jkhall, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Fyi those are Alston racing (owned by heidts), not chassisworks/chris alston.

I run those. The adjustible ones. I think other parts are more important considering his budget.

2. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    yes, new body bushings, subframe was actually installed before I purchased the car, I cleaned up the welds. springs and shocks look factory. factory sway bar as well.

I was looking at the following..
    http://www.hotchkis.net/product/tvs...o-70-73-firebird/?mk=47&yr=1971&md=432&sm=148

but dont think I can swing the extra $600 in January. if I can swing it, is there a better package out for the money?

thoughts?

3. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

factory suspension is decent. everything is tight, but I want better. I will look at the subframe bushings in the morning and check them.

4. BonzoHansen

I run the tvs, good kit. you will still need shocks, it doesn't address linkage or bushings/control arms/control arm improvements. If your are willing to go that high call keith at customworks performance.

5. BonzoHansen

Oh, and i said subframe connectors, not subframe.

Also, I don't get this. "will look at the subframe bushings in the morning". you just said they were "new body bushings". are they rubber, solid or poly?

6. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017
    I do have a plan of adding the Y-braces in the next 2 months. But there is no advantage of getting htem now as its a top of the engine setup.

My main focus is the engine is out, I have lots of space right now with an open engine compartment. So this 1k is just not to do it all, Its take advantage of the opportunity to swap something out with new/upgraded parts. I dont have the room in my garage to have the new engine / tranny as well as my OER RS front end laying around. As soon as the engine/tranny arrive I will need to start putting it together to recope my working space. There is more money over the next 3 months to dump into the suspension.

7. jkhall

jkhall Member

Dec 5, 2017

I "beleive' they are they rubber. they are new'ish' the previous owner put them in. I will verify rubber or poly. I have not looked at them but for a few split seconds..

8. BonzoHansen

Most suspension is easy enough to do later, so no need to rush. Solid body bushings might be easier without the engine in, but if they were out recently they should be relatively easy too.

Brakes lines new? Fuel lines? Booster? All that kind of stuff is easier with no engine

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

It all depends on what you want to do with the car.your mechanical skills .and your pocket book.